Week 5 Run 3 20 mins YES! You can do it.

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LordOberon

Week 5 Run 3 20 mins YES! You can do it.

Post by LordOberon »

Hey Guys, I can't believe it. This morning I ran for 20 mins. Super slowly, yes, but this programme really works!!!

I was pretty worried about this step as I struggled with the 1st 8 mins in Run 2 and then managed to finish the 2nd 8 mins.

Anyway, the first 5 mins was easy and I felt so good that I thought I can do these 20 mins.
At 10 mins, Claire says "You've reached halfway and can turn back" and there I was awaiting for the 10 mins notice and then next thing "You have run for a quarter of an hour" or words to that effect!
When I got that final 60 secs warning I picked up the pace (well, a little).

It is an awesome feeling from struggling in Week 4 to this.
I think the whole of Bedford Park must have heard me shout "YES!!!" when I completed.

I have never run for more than 5 mins before this programme. Bring it on. Next, please!

Elated.

Mark D
ColinD69

Re: Week 5 Run 3 20 mins YES! You can do it.

Post by ColinD69 »

Well done Mate!!

I think the whole week 5 run 3 is more a mental thing rather than physical! Once you realise that you CAN run for 20 minutes without stoping, 25 minutes then 28 minutes and finally 30 mnutes seems like they are hardly even worthy of a second thought!!

Keep on pushing and in no time at all you will be at the 5K finish line!
LordOberon

Post by LordOberon »

Thanks, Colin. I hope this will encourage those doubters (which definitely included me!) that think that this is a bridge too far to step up from 8 to 20 mins.

The programme is kocher.

Cheshire Cat grinning.

Laters.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Tomorrow starts week 5 for me with the dreaded 20 minute run. But after reading stories like yours I'm not as worried as I was.
LordOberon

Post by LordOberon »

Good luck, Todd. Just take it nice & slow.
Fitrunner18

Post by Fitrunner18 »

Hey,

I just did this run today and I have to admit I could not do it without stopping. So far, I've alternated between running on a treadmill and outside and I've found that it's easier on the treadmill and i can run farther w/o stopping on the treadmill. I don't know what to do, I did the 20 minute run outside today. At the halfway mark, my right side felt really tight and uncomfortable and I had to stop for 1 minute to breathe/stretch.

Any tips on how to get past this? The next run goes back down to 5-8 minutes but i don't want to get in a habit of stopping .
Halp!!
LordOberon

Post by LordOberon »

Try to do it as slow as possible, concentrating on lasting the trip.
Might help doing it in cool conditions which puts less stress on your breathing.

Hope this helps.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Just did my 20 minute run! Not going to lie it was tough near the end. It was extremely humid this morning and I was drenched when done.I even had to do the last couple of minutes running uphill. If I can do it anybody can. :)
LordOberon

Post by LordOberon »

Well done, Todd!

Our stories should encourage others to keep pushing.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

LordOberon wrote:Well done, Todd!

Our stories should encourage others to keep pushing.
I hope so. Reading other people's success stories has helped me greatly. Happy to return the favor.