How fast are you running?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
kathylhall

How fast are you running?

Post by kathylhall »

I just completed W1R2. I'm in the Southern US, so I'm running on an indoor treadmill for the first couple of weeks at a 1% grade. Today during the course of the workout I went 1.72 miles. I'm walking at about 3.2-3.3 miles per hour and 'running' at 4.3-4.4 mph. It's more like a 'jog' I suppose.

I was just wondering how this stacked up to everyone else when they started. Any info, suggestions, or feedback is much appreciated!

Kathy
mandapanda27

Re: How fast are you running?

Post by mandapanda27 »

Hi!
I haven't got a clue how fast I am running as I am running around a field, but I can definitely say it's more like jogging than running! I've just completed my 20 minute run and I just jogged at a pace that was comfortable for me. Once I have completed the whole thing I will then work on my speed :D
Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick »

I'd describe my pace at the moment as a slow stagger. :)
Likeacat

Post by Likeacat »

I live in the Midwest US. I run outside, either early mornings or after sunset, and I am about to begin week 8 tomorrow. I ran 2 miles in 25 minutes. Not covering as much ground as I'd like. :(

Lisa
Rfuilrez

Post by Rfuilrez »

Hi all. I finished W1R2 today. I am using MotionX GPS to record my runs on my iPhone. Aacording to the track recorder I am averaging 4.3 mph with a max speed of 4.5mph. Which doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the 60 seconds run is too short of a time for it to record the speed of my actual running? Will have to test it out next time I go running. Posted below is a copy of my gps recording.
http://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&ll=42. ... 31169fc4e0
AssOfDoom

Post by AssOfDoom »

I'm averaging about 5.5 mph for the running parts. I start the week at 5, then increase to 5.5, then 6 mph and then drop back to 5 for the start of the next week. This means the next week feels easier because it's slower, even though I have to run for longer!
Rfuilrez

Post by Rfuilrez »

I just got back from doing week 1 run 3. I paid a little more careful attention to MotionX GPS as well as changed the updating options in it. I am pleased with the change. My normal walking speed is between 3.2-3.5 MPH and cooldown walking speed 2.0-2.5MPH. Normal running speed between 5.9 and 6.4 MPH. Max running speed was 7.9MPH today.

I felt myself pushing the 60 second running marks to between 75 and 90 seconds. I already have a decent cardio base, as I ride my bicycle to work on a daily basis.