Very overweight first time runner

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Brokenhalo

Very overweight first time runner

Post by Brokenhalo »

Downloaded the app today and pretty excited about getting started but am wondering if I should wait until I lose some more weight before taking this on. Are there any runners out there that started in my position?
Brokenhalo

Re: Very overweight first time runner

Post by Brokenhalo »

Did it! Day one done! :shock: I opted for the treadmill instead of being in public. I was able to focus on the task at hand without feeling self conscious, judged, or repulsive. Besides my legs feeling like they were going to fall off, my heart feeling like it was going to pound out of my chest, not being able to breath, and sweating enough to fill a water bottle, it was great!! LOL. looking forward to my next run :)
Jen2bfit

Post by Jen2bfit »

Hi there!
I am very overweight for my short height too, but I've just started week 4 yesterday! You can do this - don't give up! I'm also doing this on my treadmill as I could not keep up the pace outside nor inflict my running on the public eye :? good luck!
Jessoboe

Post by Jessoboe »

Hi . I'm aiming to lose 6 stone and did my first run today . Like you I opted for the treadmill and felt like I was going to explode but afterwards felt great ! Next run on Saturday
Jen2bfit

Post by Jen2bfit »

Well done and Keep going! It really does get better!
Brokenhalo

Post by Brokenhalo »

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Due to a death in the family I missed a week but I was back on it again today. It was a struggle but it was definitely easier than day one :-) no doubt in my mind I can do this :-)
AllisonRN525

Post by AllisonRN525 »

Hello from NY. I too let my being overweight scare me into not running in public, but then I just decided to do it. I do admit on my first run I was imaging all my giggling body parts offending the people of my neighborhood. But something so subtle but inspiring happened, a seasoned runner was passing by saw me and smiled as to say " hello fellow runner" and all my insecurities went out the window. Don't get me wrong running on a treadmill is great, keep it up, but for me I like the scenery and the fresh air. You should definitely reconsider. Even if your replacing one run on the treadmill with a run outside. I know whenever I saw an overweight person running I always applauded them.
Jen2bfit

Post by Jen2bfit »

I've been doing so well and even when I went on holiday on 21stmay I picked a villa with a treadmill to continue my training - unfortunately on the 23rd may i slipped on pool water and fractured my ankle. Been in 3 different casts since so my running days are wel and truly over for now! I've been so upset about it but 4 weeks in now and the bitterness is slowly changing to positives - I have ordered a set of Dumbbells and been working on upper body strength instead in the mean while.
Good luck to all and keep running for me! X
Jen2bfit

Post by Jen2bfit »

Wow just reading back on my previous posts life is full of ups and downs isn't it? I am pleased to report that as soon as I was able to deal with the pain better after my cast came off my leg I restarted this running app from zero - and I am now doing week 8 of 9!!! I am still running on the treadmill but have scouted a local park that I wish to try out a for a public run soon. This app is amazingly simple but effective - I am now a runner and so so proud! Hope you are all doing well, would love to here more of your experiences!
Sassysod

Post by Sassysod »

I'm very overweight, the heaviest I've ever been & am slightly terrified by the prospect of doing this.. Tried previously with another app: discovered I couldn't even run for a minute and gave up out of sheer embarrassment. I'm not normally one to participate in forums but from the looks of things this one may come in handy. Best of luck everyone doing it and cross your fingers for me :?