Distance

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Loose Nut

Distance

Post by Loose Nut »

Hello

I am seriously thiniking about downloading Get Running and doing the C25k program. I had one thought though...

How do you know you are actually running 5k? It appears as if the app is based around times rather then distances? As you get fitter you would naturally be running faster and therefore running further during the intervals.

How do you know if you are actually running 5k?

Cheers!
masands

Re: Distance

Post by masands »

Hi Loose Nut
I definitely recommend getting this app. Just read the forums, it has helped hundreds get off that couch and become fit!
As for the C25K I too think it should have been called "Couch 2 30 minutes" although it sounds dumb. This question can only be answered by benjohn. In the end I guess its just the average distance a person runs in 30 minutes at 10k/hr.
You however can definitely use your iphone GPS to track distance. I however just circle a park and note the number of laps. Then using google earht figure out its perimeter and get my distance.
Hope thats helps
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

There's a great website www.walkjogrun.net where you can go on and plot routes on maps, aerial shots or combined map/aerials and it will calculate the distance for you. If you know the duration of your run, this can be entered in order to calculate pace. And if you enter your weight it will estimate the number of calories burnt. Routes can also be saved so, you never know, you might find someone has come up with some good routes in your area!
Jog-on

Post by Jog-on »

I have found it useful to combine c25k with the free version of run keeper to track my distances. it's very handy as it also gives you a map of your run the distance covered and the estimated calories burnt, Invaluable for tracking your progress if you want to measure distance. Check the suggestions hints and tips forums for instructions on how to use it.