Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
benjohn

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by benjohn »

Great stuff with loosing the pounds, Tim! I notice from Twitter you're planning to cut another 30!

Do you find that getting less calories is draining the energy that you need to get out and run, or do other exercise?
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

benjohn wrote:Great stuff with loosing the pounds, Tim! I notice from Twitter you're planning to cut another 30!

Do you find that getting less calories is draining the energy that you need to get out and run, or do other exercise?
Very good question. I find my energy levels to be up despite my calorie reduction. I Don't really know why, my diet consists mostly of pasta, pasta sauce, cereal, and dairy.
In fact, since reducing my calorie consumption, I seem to have more energy! I'm not sure what is going on here exactly, but I suspect it is specific to my own physiology. My fat meter shows that I've been perhaps losing mostly water weight and protein, I'm still at 28% fat vs. 30% when I started. I think the body is more efficient at converting protein to energy than fat, so I may hit a wall when my protein mass gets to low. I am wanting to put more emphasis on weight training right now to keep my muscle mass from deteriorating any further, at any rate I will keep you posted.
benji

Post by benji »

Morning all, my name is Ben and I live in the north west. I'm on week 5 (run 3 tomorrow!) and really enjoying it - something I never thought I would say after hating running at school! I'm doing the Sport Relief 3 mile run on the 21/03 so hoping I'll be able to run most, if not all, of it without walking - I'm also entered in the Great Manchester Run 10K in May so I'll need to keep the training going when the app runs out!

Just wanted to say thanks for creating such a user-friendly app, it really shows that you care about the subject matter and the end user - cheers! One question - where does the lovely narrator of our runs come from? Sometimes I think she's from the west country, other times I'm convinced she's Australian!

Thanks again!

Ben
DebWeb

Post by DebWeb »

Hi all, Debbie here thought I too would introduce myself. After many years of loathing running & being surrounded by people who love it and are in great shape because of it - I thought I would give it one last chance. Enjoyed week one but found my motivation on week two waning, still, got out there did the run suffered with shin splints carried on regardless (had to otherwise I think I would have just quit again). Great app for starting slowly without too much pressure, although found getting up for today's run a bit of a slog hopefully as fitness levels increase so will the motivation!

Debbie
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Deb,

The brilliant bit is that you've started and you've done the first week. Well done!

Something that can really help with motivation and commitment is to run with someone else. Perhaps you can talk a friend in to getting in to shape with you, or maybe one of your running friends would come along even though they'll find the runs easier than you?

Something that I believe helps with shin splints is to make sure you're keeping your speed down, and ensure your strides are quite short. You can lengthen your stride and increase your speed once you've got comfortable. Also, don't feel that you have to throw yourself in to week two right away, if you want to stick with week one for a few more runs, go ahead and do that. Focus on the fact that it might take a while, but this is going to get easier, and you will be able to keep yourself in good shape by doing something that is fun – you just need to invest a little to get there :-)

Happy running!
Emmie

Post by Emmie »

Hi

I'm Emmie and im 25 from southampton.

I was up until about 2yr ago a regular gymmie but due to complications with my type one diabetes, which i have had since i was 4, i had to stop exercising and go onto a insulin pump. Things are more stable now and wanting to get back into my exercise!

So bought the app and i have completed week one! it is going to be a challenge i can feel because running was never my strong point and my breathing isnt too great (so any advice on breathing techniques will be welcomed)!

Going out for my 1st run of week 2 tonight so wish me luck lol

Emmie xx :D
matt

Post by matt »

Hi Emmie,

Glad to hear you're getting back into exercise. It's never easy after a long time off, so do keep things nice and gentle, and make sure you're following your doctor's advice!

Great work on completing week one; that's probably the hardest week, in some ways, as you've got no momentum behind you and it can feel a bit strange getting out there until you start thinking of yourself as a runner. Once you've done anything three times in a row, though, it's a lot easier to get back out there and keep doing it, I find.

If you're finding the breathing difficult, my first advice would be to slow down, if you can. Speed's really not important for the first few weeks of Get Running, and anything that you could passably describe as a "jog" will do for the running bits. That can help build your aerobic capacity back up gently, which will help.

Concentrate on your legs and the rhythm of running and let the breathing take care of itself if you possibly can -- I've found that if I think about my breathing too hard, it goes wrong!

Good luck with week 2! Did you get out last night? Sorry if you tried to post about your success and found the forums were down -- we moved to a shiny new computer last night, so had to turn things off for a couple of hours...
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Wendytiom

Post by Wendytiom »

Hi All!!! I'm Wends, living in Isle of Man. I've just completed week two so am really looking forward to week three. Thanks for providing such a brilliant app. I've become really unfit over the last two years and have also gained weight. Your programme has finally got me back into an exercise routine + I'm loving it. the weight has finally started to come off - I can't wait to get back in my size 12s. Thanks again!! :D
cryptogran

Post by cryptogran »

I'm Beth and I'm 57 and writing cryptic crosswords is a major part of my work for a publishing company. I live on the east coast of Australia and although I have been active all my life and have always loved walking, it was only through C25K that I realised I actually can run. Last year I continued past the 5km mark and managed to complete both a 12km and a 14km run after some months gradually building up my distances. I then took a long break and just couldn't get back into it. When I discovered the Get Running app on my iPod it seemed such a great support system that I was inspired to get back on track - figuratively and literally! My aim this year is to again enter the Sydney City2Surf 14km run in August and to do it in under 100mins. Here's hoping!
An extension app that covers longer distances would be great - hint, hint!!
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Hi All

Im Lauren, im 23 and have hated running but love doing exercise outdoors, i have tried in the past to just go for long walks but never felt like it was enough, so i decided to get motivated and get myself running as a few of my friends do it and love it, i have just completed week 3 of the get running app, and i have to say im loving it! i never thought i could run for 3 whole minutes but last week i achieved just that!
I am today just starting Week 4 and getting myself ready to run for 5 minutes, im really excited to achieve this as it is going to be a big confidance booster if i do manage it!

I am doing the Race for Life in May and i hope to run it all!!

Thanks for developing such an awsome App i actully look forward to running instead of finding excuses to do it. its' not only a great App to get you fit it actually gets you burning those pounds off! - Love it!!