Starting 11/22

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
cu79

Starting 11/22

Post by cu79 »

Hello everyone I plan on starting my C25K journey tomorrow! Any advice before I start?
Gawii

Re: Starting 11/22

Post by Gawii »

Pace yourself- although we refer to it as 'running' it probably isn't wise to just hammer the pavement when you're starting- jog at a pace that you're comfortable at. When I started W1R1 I went all out each 8 minute run and knackered myself out.

Also get a pair of running shoes and some running gear- no need to spend hundreds or anything though- and last but not least stick at it. If you have a poor week, just repeat it, there's no dishonour in it.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Excellent advice there. Don't forget to do a good cool down (like the App advises) and stretch well – hold each stretch on each side for about 20 seconds (yep, that's a really long time).
Rascalini

Post by Rascalini »

Listen to some good music and definitely pace yourself. Tjats only something I'm learning now at week 5!! Stick with it even if you have a bad day and enjoy it 
cu79

Post by cu79 »

Thanks guys some good advice here! My first day I did go out and run alittle to fast cause I was wondering if I was going to make it or not! I stuck it out and felt great about it! My next run I did pace myself better! It was colder but I managed to get through Day 2! Since then I have been sick so haven't done day 3 yet thinking about doing it today I do feel better but not 100% Thanks for the post everyone!
cu79

Post by cu79 »

Week 1 Done!! I finished and feels great! Starting Week 2 tmrw can't wait to see how I do!
cu79

Post by cu79 »

Week 2 Done!! It was tough not sure how I feel about next week but I am looking forward to the challenge! Not sure how far I'm suppose to be running I checked the distance on Thursday and it was 2.2 miles. I am only on week 2 so not sure if I need to pick up my pace or if it will come when I start running more?
I have been running outside but may have to run next week inside getting chilly out!
cu79

Post by cu79 »

I was really worried about week 3 having to run 3 mins thought it would be too hard! As I was running my first 3 mins I knew I could do this! I just paced myself and ran it! It felt great I'm not were I want to be but it's a step in the right direction!
cu79

Post by cu79 »

Sorry so long for a post! I just started a new job and working 12 hours on a crazy schedule so will be getting my runs in when I'm not at work! I finished up week 3 today! To cold to run outside so I ran on a treadmill. It was a little different not sure if I ran the pace I'm use to cause I didn't seem as out of breathe while on my 3 min run. It felt good though excited about starting week 4 Friday!
cu79

Post by cu79 »

Aweome run today!! Week 4 started Friday ran 2.1 miles on the tredmill it was easier then expected! Today ran outside not sure how far yet, I like running outside better but it's easier on the tredmill! Either way it felt good to beable to run for that far! Going to finish up week 4 on Wednesday! I am really suprise how great this app really works. When I started never thought I would be able to run 5 mins when I could bearly make it through 8 1 min runs!!