Always doubtful about moving on!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

Always doubtful about moving on!!!

Post by Dawn »

I have just finished week two (tho i repeted week one due to my schedule being messed up with work) - so still only on little runs. Next week I am supposed to move on to week 3. I know I can run 3 mins because i made my last run today extra long to give myself the confidence to know that I could. My worry (even though it is only 3 mins) comes from how tough i find the first couple of runs a day - once i get into my stride - run 3 or 4 onward I am absolutely fine and feel like I could run for ages but at the beginning I just feel the unfittest person in the world.

Any words of wisdom anyone?? ;)

Thanks
LoeRennt

Re: Always doubtful about moving on!!!

Post by LoeRennt »

I'm only guessing about this one, but maybe it has to do with endorphine? Apparently that's what your body makes to keep you happy and running if you need it. During the first few runs your body probably tries to disuade you from running, then it figures out you are serious about it and that you plan to keep going, so it provides you with the endorphine?

Just a wild guess!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I've not got an explanation for it, but I found the same thing. I've talked to other runners who say that it's the first few miles that are hard, and after that they think they could go for ever; I think it happens at other levels too!

Something I started to do was break in to a little bit of a job in my warm up, and then walk again. You can warm up for longer than five minutes if you like, and loosen up in to your stride with some little runs before the main event.

:-) Don't worry about repeating, by the way! The program is very much envisioned with that in mind (I did plenty of extra runs too). Don't be too hesitant to move on though – remember that if you move on and can't manage it, you can always stop the run and go back to the week before, or just pause and take an extra long run!

Best of luck,
Benjohn
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Thanks for the advice ... It really worked. I already walk 30 to get to where I run so I used the warm up to do two one min runs first then dud the prog with no worries... Brilliant. I know it's only 3 mins ... But I don't think I've ever ran for three mins ever. I could cycle fir hours ang kickbox for three hours at a time but never run.... It's just brilliant... ;)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Fantastic, I'm really glad the advice helped!

And I'm glad you feel good about your three minute run. It is a big achievement when you've not done anything like that before. It left me feeling very pleased with myself too :-)
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

It's a great way of tricking your body!!! Today, I had to run in the evening - which I don't like - I am am early morning person...I started my runs in the warm and I was really struggling...almost to the pont of giving up and going out again tomorrow - but I when I got to the 3 mins again - i was fine. It's great!
Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Hi
As a complete novice to running, extremely unfit and overweight I repeated week one four times! The fourth time I took your advice benjohn and extended my warm up by 5 mins. I still found the first run interval challenging but the other runs I completed with relative ease. My confidence boosted I was spurred to finally move on to week two. I struggled a little but completed each minute and a half. I feel very proud of myself :D I have one more run to complete and I will be ready to move on to week three. . . . and if not I'll continue to repeat week two until I am ready! 8-)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Fantastic Kiki, I'm really glad it helped! :-) Well done and keep on feeling that pride! You deserve it!
KJE76

Post by KJE76 »

Hey
I feel exactly the same. I started a Learn to Run programme last year and did really well. From being fairly unfit I was able to run 25 mins without needing a break and then could carry on... getting that buzz where you feel you could just keep going and going. Its a great high after the run too.

Its very frustrating however that after giving up exercise during a winter 'hibernation' I find that I am starting right at the beginning again! I am really struggling even with 1.5 min runs! Really annoyed with myself for not keeping it up. Those first few runs are tough! I sometimes use a treadmill and sometimes run on the road. I find road running easier and I worry this is because I don't keep up the pace. On a treadmill you are all to aware of when you have to lower the speed and that is very disheartening. Any thoughts on this?

Anyway must stick with it, 'cos I know it works!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

My advice is just don't worry about your pace until you've got yourself running for half an hour comfortably. It's much more likely at this stage that setting a pace target is simply going to give you a way to fail, when what you want is to be succeeding and enjoying your tremendous achievement! Enjoy the fact that each week you'll be getting a little bit further on your run - that's something else that I enjoy about running outdoors!

Happy running!