Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Halga

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by Halga »

Hi I am Halga from Perth Western Australia.

I have just finished week one of the program and think the app is great - pity my sore joints don't agree with me.

I have done little or no exercise for about 4 months after a back injury and managed to put on 10kgs and become totally unfit. I have never been a good runner and I am also a smoker.

So giving this a go and hoping my knees will hold up.

The app is really great though. Now the weather is cooler (we have just had 5 months of 35 degree heat) I can start exercising outside.

Just wondering if I can do my runs on the cross trainer/elliptical as this is much kinder on my knees - but does it count??

Halga
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Hello! I'm Valerie. I just started Get Running and I love the app! I've completed 3 days so far and I'm anxious to continue my training. I've signed up for a 5K in June and I hope to be ready for it by then. Feeling good and I can't wait to step up the running.

Thanks for a great product! I'm really enjoying it so far. :D
Lis

Post by Lis »

Hi, Lisa here from Dublin. My mission is to lose about 20lbs. I've been handing out a
small fortune to a gym with no motivation to get off my behind and use it. I started this training last week and am now heading towards the end of week two! I'm delighted with myself and lost 3lb the first week - woo hoo.. Love it!! Sticking with the treadmill for now but hopefully will get the confidence soon to do some road running without the fear of collapsing in a heap at the side of the road!! Cheers and good luck comrades :x
Hats2011

Post by Hats2011 »

Hello!

My name is Hattie, I am 27 and live in Perth as well but unfortunately the one in Scotland rather than lucky Helga in Western Australia!

I am on a mission to sort myself out before my 30th and have so far lost 25lb this year, with another 32lb to go. I have never really been into fitness but have now discovered a passion for it - the feeling you get from it, as well as the numerous benefits being healthy and active brings. After 10 weeks of Zumba I got the courage to try running - something I have longed to be able to do for years but been too scared of being the fat, red sweaty lady only managing a couple of steps before giving up!! Now I have the confidence as I know I'm not going to be that person much longer!!

Hx
Amanda733

Post by Amanda733 »

Hi i am amanda and i started today. I live in hampshire and have 3 children and a blavk labrador! I found out about this app through weightwatchers and have lost 21lbs in 3 months! I just always wanted to run.
Anyway just completed my first day of week 1 and im so chuffed
babez007

Post by babez007 »

Hi everyone,

I am Shanna, live in BC Canada, and have just started to take up running. I do alot of other excersize, but running has always been a tough one for me. I am hoping that through this app I will be able to become a runner! Currently I go to the gym 5-6 days a week for 1-2 hours, so fitting in running is one of the big challenges. Im not ready to give up anything, so its just adjusting my routine and hoping the body will work with me!
I look forward to meeting other runners out there!
Shanna :)
MommaShuggs

Post by MommaShuggs »

Hello all!
My name is Ashley and I am a 26/f from Kentucky. I have never ran before and today I am starting Week 1, Day 1 of the program and I am very anxious ( but in a good way). I am extremely overweight at this point and I am ready for a change. I am 5'5" and weigh 220 pounds and on top of that I have been a smoker for 12 years, but today is also my 1st day not smoking as well. So lots of overdo positive changes happening in my life. Would love to get some positive encouragement in my new found adventures as my husband thinks it's silly an rolls his eyes when I talk to him about it :)
caffrin

Post by caffrin »

Hi I'm Catherine from Surrey, UK.
I have completed week 1 without too much pain - especially since I bought £66 running shoes! :roll: They made a huge difference to my shin pain. I am, sort of, looking forward to week 2 which starts on Monday. The thought of running for 1 1/2 minutes is a little bit frightening I must admit! Anyway I am loving the app. It is giving me something to exercise for. I am trying to lose weight too so am writing a blog at http://www.42lbstolose.blogspot.com
Good luck everyone and happy running :D
Myron

Post by Myron »

Day 2 of Week 1 Yay me.. For the majority of my life i was very energetic and weighed about 165 lbs.. I recently realized that i'm 56 years old, weigh abt 230 lbs and don't really have a lot of energy.

I first heard about this program about a year ago so I went out and bought a good pair of runners. They sat by the side of my bed where I saw them every morning. About 3 months ago I downloaded the app for my iphone. Three days ago I put on my runners and started my app.

Today is day 2 and I am very proud of myself.

Myron
I think i'm gonna have to work on stretching tho.
WendyOH

Post by WendyOH »

Hi Everyone! My name is Wendy, I'm 35 and live in Sydney, Australia.
I have a 15-month old daughter and am desperately trying to shed that last 10kg of baby weight. I've joined a local ladies gym close to work and go the three days that I'm there. And I'm determined to run!! I tried once before (years ago!) and got bad shin splints. So an expensive pair of trainers and I'm trying again :)
I've got a thread on the forum (Wendy Can Run) if anyone wants to join me there for support and encourgagement.
By 28th June - I *WILL* run 30 minutes and 5km!