Rest Days

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

Rest Days

Post by Dawn »

Hello all,

So, I know it's important to rest so that your muscles can heal. Is that always the case ?- should you never really run every day, even when you are experienced? Also - the two rest days, I guess it's ok to lower that to one is it?

I ache less now than when I started....I so wanted to run today! I'm not due to run again till Monday though! ;(

Dawn
Cantrunatall

Re: Rest Days

Post by Cantrunatall »

Well I have decided to try and swim in between to build and stretch my muscles. I have only managed it once but it was fine and think it helped. Kinda feel it's just a rest from running though have to admit sometimes would like to stay in bed. X :lol:
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I'd mostly stick with the suggested rest days while you're going through the Couch to 5k programme. Don't worry about moving the runs about a bit, but I would keep on trying to have a day of rest between most of your runs. When your body has really got in to running, then you can certainly run more often, but you could also do some other kind of exercise on your "off days", and swimming's a great idea.
MissCassandra

Post by MissCassandra »

Yes I feel the same Dawn. Week 1 hasn't been to hard on me and I would like to run on rest day. Do you know how to repeat a run?
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi MissCassandra,

You can select the run on the journey at the bottom. If you want to do extra runs, just select the run you want to repeat and then press the "Run" button.

Also, all of the dates that Get Running shows are suggestions. If you don't follow them, that is okay, and Get Running will adapt to when you do run. Please make sure that you do have some rest days though. Even if your heart and lungs can take the running, maybe your joints aren't ready for so much extra activity yet, and it would be terrible to get injured when you've found something that you enjoy!

Thank,
Benjohn