New Start New Runner

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jimmy Ash

New Start New Runner

Post by Jimmy Ash »

I decided back in Nov 2010 that I needed to lose some weight. It was only when stepped on the scales I found myself weighing 1 lb short of 26 stone. I made a conscious decision to make an effort to save my own life and started back at the gym. Since Nov I've lost 3 stone (42lbs) :o and feel a whole lot better for it. This is only the start and last week signed up to run the BUPA Manchester 10k in May 2012 and today took the first steps towards my goal by completing the first run in week 1. It wasn't easy because I've never been a runner but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't wait till Monday for my second run. Onwards and upwards!
samjdalton

Re: New Start New Runner

Post by samjdalton »

Great stuff - glad to hear you've taken such a positive step and are enjoying it.

My story is similar - I was just a fraction under 20 stone 9 weeks ago. I am now under 17 stone and have just finished week 5 of Get Running (with a sustained 20 minute run this morning). Stick at it and it definitely gets easier I can assure you.
samantha

Post by samantha »

How ya getting on, Jimmy?!

How was run 2?! I hope you're still enjoying it :) keep up the good work, time certainly flies on this programme. I am on week 4 and never imagined running for 5 minutes, bring on the full 30!! (just not yet ha ha ha)

Keep us updated, it inspires me reading everyone's progress x
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Samantha, thank you for the encouragement. I did week 2 run 2 today but a bit differently. Today I used the treadmill at my gym and hated the run, the other runs I have done outside along a canal towpath and feel being out in the open air far more enjoyable than breathing in the warm air conditioned air of the gym. So it's outside from now on!
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Oh well it's here! Week 3 run 1, with it's 3 minute runs. Can't say it's filling me with confidence but what the hell I've come this far so ain't stopping now. I'll let you know how it goes later.
samantha

Post by samantha »

How'd it go Jimmy?!

I bet it was fine, you smiled all the way through and are itching for run 2.

Am I right?! :)
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

samantha wrote:How'd it go Jimmy?!

I bet it was fine, you smiled all the way through and are itching for run 2.

Am I right?! :)
Samantha, i'm so glad you put a smiley face. :D

The run was awful but for the right reasons. It was blowing a hooley and the rain was very cold, isn't this meant to be summer :roll: The 3 min runs where a struggle and i got bad pains in my calves but i got through without stopping and yes i am looking forward to run 2.
Something i'd like to add is, if anyone suffers from muscle/knee pain try ARNICA CREAM or ARNICARE spray. The pains in my lower legs have all but gone, the stuff is magical! :o
samantha

Post by samantha »

You did it and thats all that matters, nice one.

Hope the calves get better with the cream, mine feel a bit tight if I don't stretch sometimes, could it be something to do with that? If that Arnica stuff helps than it can't be too serious can it? I hope not.

Yeah it has been relentless with rain today so extra credit for getting out there!
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Wow!!!! Never ever did I think I would get this far! Today I finished week 4 and that is an achievement in it's self. Something that I've noticed is that although I'm still losing weight it has slowed down, I've only lost 4lbs since I started the programme but I have lost nearly 3 inches on my waist :shock: This has pleased me no end!! Well it's on to the dreaded week 5 but I'm actually looking forward to it, never did I think I would get the 'running bug' that other runners talked about. :D
Jimmy Ash

Post by Jimmy Ash »

Today I completed run 2 of week 5 and found the 2 runs really enjoyable but my calves where really sore again. Now I've got the 'dreaded' 20 min run on Thursday and I'm determined to do it first time, then it will be 3 days rest sitting by a lake hoping to catch some big fish and to give my legs some needed recovery time :)