Climbing and Running

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jspiro

Climbing and Running

Post by jspiro »

Growing up with asthma, I never ran a mile in my life without a break -- and the 8/5/8 run in week five was brutal on me, worse than any other run I have done. I intended to repeat it, but...

I was at the climbing gym bouldering with my friend for about two hours. Usually, the last thing I could imagine doing afterward would be anything other than nothing. But the gym was closing in twenty minutes so I thought, what the heck, I wonder how long into the 20 minute run I can go. I was already warmed up so off I went!

It passed like a BREEZE. 2.1 miles without breaking a sweat (well, metaphorically!). I probably could have gone on for another five or ten minutes.

There IS a correlation between the cardio of running and the stamina and strength of climbing -- I've never found a solid physiological link, but it's definitely there. The best routine I've found is a warmup on a treadmill, climbing, and then running until you're completely spent.

Word of caution: If you do this late at night, the endorphin rush will keep you up ALL NIGHT!
benjohn

Re: Climbing and Running

Post by benjohn »

I was doing some freelance work over in Dusseldorf when I did my 20 minute run. I was almost totally convinced that I wouldn't finish it. The run I did out there took me around and around this big block of houses and at the end was a pub and restaurant. I think I ran past the diners there about four times, each time just a little slower and just a little more exhausted.

At the end, I reckon I could have gone on a little bit more, but I was really happy to grab a shower and then go and drink a lovely German beer and eat a huge schnitzel and these amazing super thin and crispy French fries they serve over there.

It was amazing finishing that 20 minute run. I knew then I would be able to do the 30 minutes. In fact, I was pretty sure I could run any distance I wanted – not right away, but I knew I could run it with a little more training. Until then I didn't quite believe that.
jspiro

Re: Climbing and Running

Post by jspiro »

Totally true. Like the voice, you end up feeling like you have the potential to be a real runner -- and hopefully faster by this point in time than it took to get to this point.