About to Get Running!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Deadcompanions

About to Get Running!

Post by Deadcompanions »

So, I've bought into the concept; I've bought the app; I've bought some really nice gear (including barefoot-style Vivobarefoot shoes); and I've lurked on this forum for a few weeks (getting inspiration and confidence), but I was wondering when I was actually going to wander over to the park to start week 1, day 1, of Get Running. Well it came to me this morning: I'm ready to start next week.

I'm excited: it's the beginning, I trust, of a long relationship with running. A lot of other people are doing well with this program (and particularly with the app): overcoming lethargy, weather, and other personal barriers; and breaking through into something very good. Why not me? I'm motivated; I have a degree of discipline I think to carry me through the difficult times: I know it's not going to be a walk in the park (it's going to be a run!).

I'm also nervous! I've left running quite late - I'm 50 this year - and my body's just not the one I used to have: sometimes I find it just hard to walk up a hill. I've not exercised much on the whole for the last 10 years or more: I've been dealing with disabling mental illness all this time (sometimes unable even to get out of bed for long periods). And also I'm a bit worried about feeling self-conscious, do you know what I mean? But I'm sure this will pass. Meanwhile I'll be the best-dressed beginner staggering round the park. :D

I've been walking briskly and systematically (sometimes in the wind and rain, of course) for the past few months along the seafront, and my fitness has improved a good deal, surprisingly quickly. I thought this would be good preparation, physically, as well as building my confidence. Now, it's time to run!

Is there anyone else out there who's just preparing to start something wonderful with Get Running?
mattn

Re: About to Get Running!

Post by mattn »

Just finished week one. Feeling great and as I have been walking a fair bit this year I have been doing some extra walking or bike riding in the gym as my cool down.

Today was my third run and I felt a little stiff at the start of my warm up so I just walked for probably 20-30 mins to feel nice and warm before running. I love the voice fading in and out of my music I'm finding that quite motivating.

I can certainly feel the muscles working and the rest days are really important as we get older (39).

My goal is to surprise my wife for our anniversary but I think running a fun run will be on my list of to-do's.
Ruthyo

Post by Ruthyo »

I'm about to start Wk 8 on Monday and am enjoying(? :lol: ) every run!

At 52, I have never run in my life before so you are a mere youngster!

Good luck with your running! Keep us posted :)
Deadcompanions

Post by Deadcompanions »

That's really, really great to hear that you're both enjoying your running; so encouraging. The long warm-up ... Yes, I think because of my age I find that often my body needs a while now for the energy to get flowing, even just walking as I am. The wisdom that I'm gleaning from experienced runners places emphasis on listening to the body, and responding appropriately. The long warm-up sounds just like this. Thanks, guys, for your feedback.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi there, I am 45 and hadn't run in my life. Very overweight (still am) but i ran for 40 mins today - first day back after 12 days off. So it's all within reach if you just work your way through the program. Today, it was windy, chucking it down yet I felt that i could run and run....actually was going to actually hit the 5k for the first time when i was scuppered by some sheep - they popped up in a field they are not usually in so I had to get the dogs on the lead and get them out of the way! Anyway - like i say - just stick to it and you will love it I am sure.

I saw this the other day - this really is inspirational - i thought of him a couple of times today while i was running.....a great story! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

How are you getting on with the barefoot shoes? i am going to treat myself to some on payday :)

Dawn
Deadcompanions

Post by Deadcompanions »

Scuppered by sheep. I have to laugh. So you've got dogs to keep you company when you run. That's very nice. No chance of getting scuppered by sheep here in Brighton. Maybe flocks of nuns with moustaches on rollerblades. So you're another Get Running success story. That's great. I'm beginning to be much more excited now than nervous. The Vivo Barefoot shoes are lovely - but, yes, they are much more expensive than being really barefoot. I've walked in them; and run only a little, as a test really. A very nice feeling: an almost childlike prance to them (I couldn't think of a more macho description that was better). I think I'm going to get on very well with them. And I wouldn't be surprised if I end up being completely barefoot at least some of the time. I've always loved being without shoes. And I had a year when I had to walk barefoot every morning over, amongst other things, gravel and rocks: railway clinkers were the worst. It wasn't long before the pain receded and the feet toughened: not just the skin, but the very fabric of the soles of the feet, without any stiffening or loss of sensation (apart from the pain) at all. By the way, I might not start running next week :roll: . Looks like it's going to be the following Monday; honest.
Deadcompanions

Post by Deadcompanions »

Oh, and I forgot to thank you for the encouragement - Thank You!!!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Deadcompanions wrote:Scuppered by sheep. I have to laugh. So you've got dogs to keep you company when you run. That's very nice. No chance of getting scuppered by sheep here in Brighton. Maybe flocks of nuns with moustaches on rollerblades. So you're another Get Running success story.
Well funny you should mantion that actually becuase i do in fact live in Brighton! ;)....and i was indeed scuppered by sheep in Brighton! lol I run up on the top of Wild park coming in from the meadows along Ditchling road - I have to say, although there have never been sheep in that meadow before there has been a few grazing projects around the city :) I can't always run with the dogs as one of them is beginning to suffer a bit with stiff joints after long walks and runs....but I love it when i can - and in fact in is why I started running, I saw an article about Canix and thought how great it would be to be able to run with the dogs...

I do think i am one of the success stories actually. This is my second time doing the program - i got part way through last time and got sick, then got put off by summer...this time i have not followed it religiously because i didn't feel i needed to. Yesterday, actually should have been a Wk 7 D3 run but i just felt so great running after my little break. that i just ran. Like I have said before - i'm not that quick yet, but i don't care. I am still very overweight so I am sure that will improve as i lose weight and get even fitter. But I remember the first run - I seriously was pushing myself to even complete the minute, and i really struggled week two - at the time the extra 30 seconds made a huge difference. I have no doubt in my mind that if i wanted to - i could train for and manage a marathon! I don't really want to race though, I thought i did but actually, i realise that why i like running so much is it gets me away from people!!! lol And gives me time on my own to think.

So - you had a year when you 'had to walk barefoot every morning over, amongst other things, gravel and rocks: railway clinkers were the worst. ' !!!!!! What on earth was happening to you? Were you in a chain gang??? It sounds extremely interesting and i hope you feel like you would like to expand the story - else all sorts will be going through my mind! Mind you - that was a perfect macho counter balance for the 'prancing' image! ;)

I look forward to more reports from your running/ prancing in your bf shoes! :)
Dawn
Deadcompanions

Post by Deadcompanions »

That's hilarious that you do actually live in Brighton yourself! Is that a nice route up the top of Wild Park? I've been up that way once or twice, but I didn't explore it that much. I shall be starting in Preston Park, which is about ten minutes away from New England Street where I am. It's great that you're a success story! It's interesting to hear (and I think I've come across others saying this) that the first few runs can be really hard. But, as you say, it's just a case of sticking with it, and it gets easier. Wonderful. Hmm, I can see why you think 'chain gang'. A kind of spiritual chain gang in some ways: I spent a year in Thailand as a buddhist monk (novice), which involved walking in line barefoot around the local villages each day after dawn with our bowls, looking for food offerings. Rice fields were nice and soft, but other substrates were hard going. The feet got really tough, after a while (ouch! ouch! ouch!) as I say, without losing flexibility and sensation. When I'm a bit more confident, I imagine runs down at the sea front might be really good (particularly off-season). Have you tried many routes locally?
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Wow! How amazing is that? Running around Brighton will be a doddle after that :) What an amazing experience. Does that mean you are a Monk now? I did a course at the Buddhist center when I moved down here - it was brilliant.

Preston park is a good place to start i think because it can be relatively flat. Some of the issues I had when i was starting was i wasn't fit enough to manage running and the massive slopes i would encounter....i wish i had known how hilly Brighton was before i moved here!!! lol Wild park the top parts around the meadows and through the woods to the north of the Dew pond too are lovely but there are some pretty slopey parts to Wild Park so it can be a bit of a killer.

I also live quite near to Withdean Park, so i go there sometimes but it's pretty small and i end up having to zag zag a lot or go round the a few times. Also Hollingbury Woods and Stanmer Park are great. hollingbury woods leads onto the golf course so can also take you over to Wild Park....all really nice to run round. I don't like the road so I stick to trails and off road. I guess as my fitness improves more will open up because the hills will be less of a problem :) lol

So - once you get your vibrams going will you be barefoot climbing on the climbing wall in the New England Quarter! ;)