Kit and Tips for Cold Weather Running?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
benjohn

Kit and Tips for Cold Weather Running?

Post by benjohn »

Here in the UK, it's cold. Cold enough to put me off. My current kit is track suit trousers, a wicking base-layer / long-john top, and enormous snow boarding mittens. I look like a total prat, but as it's all black (which is a _terrible_ idea with the bad wintery light), no one can see me.

There must be better options than this though, right? Any thoughts?
matt

Re: Kit and Tips for Cold Weather Running?

Post by matt »

Heh. I'm not even wearing track suit trousers; I still prefer running in shorts, it seems, even when it's freezing! On the other hand, I've got a really nice shiny-and-futuristic Nike running hoodie to go over my 2XU running shirt -- just as well, as the 2XU thing makes me look like a smurf. And nice fleece gloves.

My stuff is also dark, but I don't have to cross any roads when I run, so I'm not so bothered about that.

Most of my running gear is purchased fairly randomly at TK Maxx, as none of the running shops around here believe that anyone my shape and size (short and fat, not to put too fine a point on it) is a runner! The only clothes I buy from running shops are socks...
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
jspiro

Post by jspiro »

I forget where I read it, but I loved that a doctor said a person shouldn't be running because they don't have a runner's body. The retort: That is precisely WHY I am running.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) That's about it. And the feeling of unstopability afterwards (if not always during)!