1 down - how many to go?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Pushingit

1 down - how many to go?

Post by Pushingit »

Week 1 run 1 just completed - although I had got as far as run 2 week 2 but then missed nearly week so decided to start from scratch. Thought my ankles were going to give out when I started the first minute and I really felt like I was flat footed but by run 3 I was flying it - I could even sing along a little, a very little, with the ipod. I'm running on a treadmill which is great because a) no-one sees my wobbly bits or my red face and b) it's easier on the knees I think. I often look with envy at people jogging when I'm driving, especially when they make it look so easy - one day I'll be like that - when I'm about 4 stone lighter and stop turning traffic light red when I run - so here's to everyone who started this week - more power to us :D
Dawn

Re: 1 down - how many to go?

Post by Dawn »

Excellent :) I used to feel like that - my first three runs were torture then the latter ones easy as pie! When i got to the longer runs i used to warm up with some little ones. Now i just start and get through the first few mins and into my stride. Just well done....cos it's easy to give up :) We all deserve a bit of a pat on the back i think :)
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

Thanks Dawn - hope I get on as well as you have and can encourage someone starting off
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

You'll do fine - I remember reading somewhere once - may have even been on here way back - that what someone loved about running was that there are always challenging days; that even when you are a experienced runner, there will be days that you struggle - you sort of never know what sort of days it's going to be.....Ithat gives me hope on days i struggle.....I just think - the next one will be better.... :) How you getting on now?
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

Just finished week 1 and very pleased with myself - the first minute of the first run I'm like a creaky old machine but I know now that I'll loosen up after the first minute - I can even sing along to the iPod during the last run even if it's a bit huffy puffy - the last time I tried I could barely breathe! Looking forward to week 2 because I started it before so I know I can do it - think I might have a bit of progression anxiety after that but I'll cross (or jog over) that bridge when I get to it - it's reassuring to know that it's not just us beginners that struggle and the pros have off days too
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I really understand "progression anxiety" I had that almost all the way through, yet i could always run on at the end of most runs! I wish we could all just have a bit of confidence, though i guess that comes with time too! ;) Well done. What i would say is try to move on first - if you struggle a lot then go back - but usually you will surprise yourself I bet! :)