I'm slow - but pleased as punch!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

I'm slow - but pleased as punch!

Post by Dawn »

Yup - today I ran for a full hour - i am still slow - only managed 6.3k in that hour. I have managed a better pace before (slightly) but today was pretty warm and i had a few difficult fields to cross.....but non the less.....a whole flipping hour!!!!! Seriously, all of my life i have hated running and now i just love it. I have alaways been a walker....but i couldn't run for the min when i first started. I love this program and I love the Get Running app even more.

I just wanted to share and say if i can do it anyone can - i am still overweight, i am 45.... but i can add to that a runner now :) lol

Thanks to all for the encouragement along the way.....hmmmm now - what to do with the rest of my day!?
benjohn

Re: I'm slow - but pleased as punch!

Post by benjohn »

That's brilliant Dawn, and hats off to you! :-) hope you enjoyed the rest of your day!
Pushingit

Post by Pushingit »

Congratulations that's seriously impressive especially when you're running "in the wild" - different ball game altogether from my nice even surfaced treadmill - someday when I wobble less and dont go bright red I'll venture out
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Thanks all - and Pushingit - you get out there when you are ready :) ...I wobble a lot and i go very red!! ;) But I really love the outdoors. Makes me so happy to be able to see the stunning views of the sea on a clear day.... I am smiling now just thinking about my next run! :) Thanks again :)
AliM

Post by AliM »

So impressed... A whole hour!! Seems ages when 20 minutes feels a major achievement...
So much of this is in your head isn't it? Having re done week 5 run 3 it was so much easier even tho I had been ill because I KNEW it was possible!! Won't make the mistake of thinking I can't do it again WE CAN!!!!!!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

20 mins is a major achievement! The leap of faith people talk about to go from 8 to 20 is massive isn't it? For me the way i am able to push myself is when i get to 30 mins i think have i got more in me? If i have i run on - then i think right next goal 40 mins...then i was thinking right - today i am going to get to 5k....then...once i was at 5k....i was near on an hour so i thought what the heck! ;) I made the last bit easier by being flat and downhill - till the very last bit which was a bit of a mare....but anyway....thanks i am so chuffed and never thought i'd do it. I wish i was a bit faster - but i am sure that will come..... :)

You are really right though....it is in the head..... We can do it cos we are doing it and a few weeks ago - 1 minute was hard! :)

Where do you run?
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

That's just fab hun - well done!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Luv
Monkey
xxxxxxx
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Thanks Monkey! I hate work! Not really been able to get out at all this week....fitted in a quick 1k last night just so i had..... but hey - it's only the flippin weekend! :) How you doing????