About to Get Running!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Katina

Re: About to Get Running!

Post by Katina »

Hi - well I did the Race for Life on Sunday & beat my pb by 3 minutes finishing in 31:27. I'm amazed as I would never have believed I could do that 5 months ago ! Tina
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

That is brilliant Tina! A great time! I am well impressed!!!! Well done....so what's next for you????
Deadcompanions

Post by Deadcompanions »

That's so good. And encouraging!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hey Kreaen

How you doing? Calfs feeling better?? :)

Dawn
Deadcompanions

Post by Deadcompanions »

Ahh, thanks for asking. No, they're not! I really wanted to go out for another run yesterday, so I did, and I couldn't even complete it, because my ankle was hurting so badly. Today I am hobbling about in serious pain! Calf muscles AND ankle. The good news, however - and it's the most important thing I think - is that I'm not going to give up: I really want to run! I'm sure I'm not the only person who's not completed the course in one smooth 9-week go. When my ankle heals up sufficiently I shall go out for Week 1 Day 1, starting again. Meanwhile, I shall be stretching my calf muscles. But I wonder if I did some damage to my brain: I've just watched Sex in the City 2!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

You are most certainly not the only person to have a few stops and starts - I started first time in Feb 2010 (the 15th according to the original post in the introduction thread! lol I wonder if you should try getting used to running a bit before doing the barefoot thing? (I don't know - i don't have enough experience of running and none of barefoot!) But maybe minimal trainers might help to get you started. Have you sought advice?
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi. Don't know much about barefoot running - but it occurs to me that your ankle/calf pain might be because of there being little shock-absorption in the Barefoot shoes. Running puts a lot of impact through the feet/ankles/knees etc - and if we are generous enough to be carrying a bit more weight than our ankles like then it might be that the sudden extra impact - even with the 8 x 1minute runs - in week 1 is enough to cause temporary complaints from our ankle and calfs. I suppose that is why the trainer manufacturers put squishy bits in the trainer heels. But i am merely speculating!. Cheers.
Deadcompanions

Post by Deadcompanions »

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I've had time to think about what's going on over the last few days whilst limping around my neighbourhood. And I've just been revising a collection of writings by convinced barefoot runners. What I realize is that as usual I don't take people's advice seriously enough: not because I think I know better, but because of the slightly lesser sin of being over-keen.

First, Benjohn suggested to me that my calf muscles would be seriously affected. Ouch! they were. Another piece of advice I keep coming across is to listen to and trust your body. I went out on my second run with calf muscles that weren't quite ready for another running trip round the park. I think I should have continued stretching them (as Benjohn advised) and walking gently about on them, for longer.

Second, I wore socks on my second run, with the idea that a bit of padding would help absorb some of the weight of landing on my feet. This may also have been a mistake. Committed barefoot runners seem to stress the primacy of the role of proprioception in running. By adding padding I may have lost the sensitivity that made my first run feel flowing and fine and completely injuryless.

I loved my first barefoot-style run and have no intention of abandoning my journey to find my running happiness, just because I've ended up limping this time. The foot is improving, which feels nice; my calf muscles are doing OK; and I'm looking forward to going back to the park for further runs. But because I'm starting out with a barefoot running style I think I've got to realize that I must factor in the extra strength I need to develop in my lower legs and feet. How about stopping after four 1 minute runs next time, and seeing how that goes? After all, what's the hurry? This is what I'm thinking now. There is also the matter of my age . . .

Thanks again for your thoughts. I hope you'll be able to make sense of my own thought process here. Enjoy your running, and your not-running too!

Kreaen.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

I think you have hit the nail on the head! Starting with the four runs sounds like a great idea too - and remember running outside is actually harder than a treadmill which is where quite a lot of people start. I constantly have to remember not to give myslef a hard time for things :) So your words are pretty wise :)

I couldn't find anywhere selling five fingers in Brighton! :( I am not confident in the sizing to not try them on first. Anyway i am happy with my minimal trainers too at the moment...(but i really want the others lol.....patience Dawn!)
looneytunes

Post by looneytunes »

Hey guys, glad your all out there getting your run on. I'm injured myself at the moment and have been out of the program for 6 weeks now, made it to w4d2. I believe it was myrunning style and old trainers that caused the injuries. Like you Dawn I have the minimalist trainers. One thing that I have seen repeated on most barefoot running sites( I had alot of spare time resting) is that we need to build up the muscles very slowly. Even the shoes we wear don't allow us to walk like we would with no shoes and thus not working on the muscles that are needed for a good barefoot running style. You are probably right Deadcompanions on the lack of feeling due to the socks. A few web sites even suggest walking fully barefoot for a few weeks then start running in small increments(on grass) They say that if you run fully barefoot the proper running style will naturally come then once your form is good then add your minimilst or vibrams. Whilst I'm out of commission I'm taking this opportunity to get out side and walk completely bare foot. I hope that when I do get back out running I'll have built up some strength where needed. I will also start back at the beginning and I will try not to be too stressed if I have to repeat a week. I know I can build the stamina up quickly it's my body that needs to take the time and thats what hurts the day after my runs not my lungs, lol :) I hope your ankle gets better soon. Do you gave an iPod??
5 hours ago