Sore toe - advice please!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Monkey

Sore toe - advice please!!

Post by Monkey »

Hi ya,

I'm on Week 4 and am supposed to do Run 3 tonight - only the thing is, last night I accidentally ripped my big toe nail off really low down and it ripped my skin off :o so my toe is soooooo sore today - even just walking wearing flip flaps - I really don't think I'm going to be able to put my trainers on tonight - let alone do my 4 runs :shock: . I will try to put my trainers on when I get home - but I'm not hopeful! :(

So, if I don't manage my run tonight - do I start Week 4 again next week from scratch (as I like to run on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday) or should I wait until next Friday, ie 1 week from today, to complete my Week 4 Run 3? I really don't want to set myself back - I although I am finding this week really hard - I gave myself a HUGE pat on the back when I completed Runs 1 and 2 on Monday and Wednesday :D just gutted my foot is hurting tonight - and I don't think it's going to be that great tomorrow morning - really sore!! :cry:

Any advice would be really appreciated!! :)

Luv
Monkey
xxxxxxx
Dawn

Re: Sore toe - advice please!!

Post by Dawn »

OMG!!!! Awful! Poor you! I am no expert but i do think you have to listen to your body. It your toe is saying NO - don't go. I know from my kickboxing days if you push yourself too soon you will suffer more in the long run. You won't lose all your fitness, really you won't. I did my hour long run after 12 days off!!!! before that I had only done 40 mins max.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I got home from work - got into my running gear - positive mind that I COULD do it, but just putting a sock on - let alone my trainer -
made it feel awful! I approached my treadmill line every night, with excitement but anticipation - more anticipation tonight -
but it was too sore to walk so I tried jogging - that was
worse - so now I feel I've failed the programme!!!! What do I do now? Wk 4 Run 3 next Fri or start Wk 4 again on Monday (it really works for me to run on a Mon, Weds and Fri) - help I need advice

I know Dawn - I was telling my hubby about your success story tonight - good on ya hun!

Luv
Monkey
xxxxxxx
AliM

Post by AliM »

Dear Monkey- hope your toe is improving. I can feel the angst in your post . This is my advice after having to stop running at the end of week 5 following a bad virus.
You will not lose all your progress.
The programme isn't going anywhere and will be there when your foot is better.
When you are better go for a week 4 run and be calm in your head that you will maybe do a week 4 run 1 and if it feels fine skip run 2 and do 3.
If it feels terrible then do a week 3 run and fast track through to end of week 4 if it feels better.
After 3 weeks off my first run back was grim. Started a week 4 and ended up running half a week 3 instead. BUT.... within 10 days having skipped through I was back at the end of week 5 with the 20 minute run which felt much much better than it had first time around. So repeating a bit gave me more confidence.
Good luck. This is a lifestyle change, not a competition . You won't fail .
Good luck and please repost to let us know how it's going.