When it is hot

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jam78

When it is hot

Post by Jam78 »

I am due to do my week 4 run 3 tonight but it is SO hot out there. I really struggle in the heat, especially as I have asthma that is affected by the muggy weather.

It is going to be even hotter tomorrow so I'm thinking of waiting till Thursday to do my next run. (last run was on Sunday)

Would it be a really bad idea to wait?
AliM

Re: When it is hot

Post by AliM »

Hi. I'm rubbish at running in the heat. I think it's fine to defer a run if the conditions are adverse for you. While it's been hot this week I've been running early in the morning and find it much better. I feel fresher and it gives me a spring in my step for the day. Ioften feel quite fatigued in the eve, especially after work and find it easier to 'put off' my run. But...... The fact that we're all looking for solutions means we're all still sticking with it. Good luck...
Jam78

Post by Jam78 »

Thank you for your reply.

I got a rare oportunity to go out this morning so found myself running in the lashing rain at 7am this morning! I really enjoyed it.

I'll be starting week 5, run 1 on Saturday!! Aaggh!
AliM

Post by AliM »

Good for you. Week 5 is brill but vv daunting . I thought I wouldn't beable to manage any if the week 5 runs but I did , I just took it v gently and accepted that slow is ok. I concentrated on my posture and relaxed shoulders and found that you get into a bit of a rhythmn after 5-8 minutes. That said I had abad W5 R3. It felt wrong from the start and grit and determination were def required. Did it tho and felt really elated!!
This programme is vv clever. It doesn't ask more than you can do.
Running is more head than legs. Don't tell yourself you can't. Good luck.