Lower BACKACHE

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Louiseworthy

Lower BACKACHE

Post by Louiseworthy »

Hi, just started running on my second week , Finding am suffering lower backache !!!!
Does any one else get it and does it ease ?
Louise in clacton
benjohn

Re: Lower BACKACHE

Post by benjohn »

Hi Louise, I'll give you my standard disclaimer, I'm not medically trained, so I can't give real advice! But…

What I advise with pain is:

Don't run through it.
Do a good Google and have a read. Here is an article by Josh Clark on Cool Running's web site on back pain, it looks pretty authoritative.
If you're at a gym, talk to someone there who knows about things.
If you have an independent running shop near to you, go and talk to them. They may do a gait analysis and advise on corrective shoes. If you feel you're being ripped off though, then go somewhere else! Most people seem to get more joy from small independent outlets.
If you can easily, talk to your doctor.

I hope that is of some help!

Thanks,
Benjohn
Lillian2611

Post by Lillian2611 »

I may be able to add to this a little. I have suffered from lower back pain for most of my adult life. A chiropractor recently gave me some simple stretches to do and they've helped me run, as have some very good shoes and insoles.

I'd suggest using Google to find some stretches you feel comfortable with. There are tons of reputable sites with great descriptions and images, from what I can see.
AlbertaBelle71

Post by AlbertaBelle71 »

I suffer from lower back ache too! The best idea I've found to help is to stretch my hip flexor muscles before and after working out. Also, doing some ab/core strengenthening will help!