Just Started

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
SheCutsHair

Re: Just Started

Post by SheCutsHair »

Thanks for posting Mike. Reading how it's going for you has been great inspiration. Just finished W3R3. It's going great I'm sure that my couch misses me terribly but I'm moving on to bigger and better things! Can't wait to hear how you feel when you finish the program.
"Running...It takes all I've got, but gives back more"

"It's 5 am. Do you know where your running shoes are?"
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi SheCutsHair. I thought I was just talking to myself here! LOL Well done on getting through week3. You are a third of the way through the programme 8-) . It's amazing how far one can go with this app, the encouragement of others anda bit of enthusiasm. For me, one of the most helpful things has been always to do the brisk 5 minute warm up walk. In bygone times when I have tried to get into running I have stumbled out of the front door and started running straight away (after a few stretches). Big mistake. Stretching cold muscles not a good idea. And then running without a warm up not good. Consequently I always felt awful, hated the runs and ended up pulling muscles I had not known previously that I had!
Did my first run of w7 today. 25mins run sandwiched between the 2 x 5mins walking. I have to admit - it was a bit tough. Probably partly because I didn't get back from my long day of work yesterday till 1-30am this morning and then went for the run at 6-15am! But man - did I feel good after finishing it and pleased as punch. I'm currenently doing the programme every two days so am moving forward the start day by one day every week. Coach Claire has been kind to me and not told me off for overdoing it. I'm enjoying it heaps and I hope that you and others out there get the same sense of achievement.
Now the nights are drawing in here in UK it will get a bit hard to run in the daylight - but I hope I am not tempting fate by saying that this has become such a gratifying part of my life that I can't envisage stopping after week 9.
I just wish there was an extension to 10k from Benjohn (the 'Bridge to 10k' app is not rated as well as this). Keep posting. Enjoy the runs. You'll be at 25 min runs before you can even imagine it. Mike.

Oh - and if you want true inspiration - look at Sam's blog (samjdalton on here). http://runningsam.com/. He started this app back in April 2011 and has just run his first half marathon! Awesome....
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

A weird thing happened today. Was walking in a bit of a rush. And my legs just started telling me I had to RUN! I reckon I've not had an urge to run like that for 30 years. Nice!
SheCutsHair

Post by SheCutsHair »

No you aren't talking to yourself. lol. I am reading and I'm sure others are as well. Thank you again. Also,thanks for the link to Running Sam. Wow. Very inspiring ideeed. And oh yeah, I get those sudden urges to just take off running myself. Conditioning. Gotta love it! :D

samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

SheCutsHair wrote:No you aren't talking to yourself. lol. I am reading and I'm sure others are as well. Thank you again. Also,thanks for the link to Running Sam. Wow. Very inspiring ideeed. And oh yeah, I get those sudden urges to just take off running myself. Conditioning. Gotta love it! :D
Blimey, not used to being "inspiring". Glad people like it though!
SheCutsHair

Post by SheCutsHair »

samjdalton wrote:
SheCutsHair wrote:No you aren't talking to yourself. lol. I am reading and I'm sure others are as well. Thank you again. Also,thanks for the link to Running Sam. Wow. Very inspiring ideeed. And oh yeah, I get those sudden urges to just take off running myself. Conditioning. Gotta love it! :D
Blimey, not used to being "inspiring". Glad people like it though!

Are you kidding Sam? lol Just seeing your before and after pictures inspired the hell out of me, then I went back to the beginning and read your story thru. Amazing sir!

KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Odd thing. Last few days I've 'come out'. Started telling friend about my new running ventures. So far have felt uncertain to do so as thought it might be a flash in the pan. Guess I can never go back! Lol. Did w7r2 this am. Sultry and humid. Flagging after 15 minutes but picked up again for the last 3mins.
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

I was naughty today. Couldn't resist it. Despite the GetRunning programme saying 3 runs per week with rest days - I couldn't help myself. Though I had done my w7r2 25min run on Friday, I felt a huge urge to run again on Saturday. So I donned my gear and headed out. Didn't use the GetRunning app. Used RunKeeper instead. Just had a vague idea where I would go and ran. 39 mins and just under 8km! Wow! Two months ago I could only just manage a 1 min run. Can't believe how much this app has changed me. Nor can my wife! Lol.
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Final run of week 7 today. Next step: 3 x 28 mins. Feeling a bit sad that I'll have to be saying farewell to the sweet and encouraging tones of Coach Claire. Used RunKeeper a couple of days ago to compare. Useful to have the pace, speed etc spoken to me but not as friendly as the GetRunning coach. Didn't manage to get out this morning as the kids were jumping on me to wish me happy birthday. But ran after work. Hard work as there was a strong headwind and I really felt my muscles today, probably they are still feeling the effects of an unscheduled 39 min run 2 days ago!
As I've so far been running before work, and the mornings will be getting chilly, I went to a local running shop and bought a long sleeved running top. It's weird, but only a couple of months ago I would have been intimidated as anything in such a shop. But today I felt good there and was able to chat to the helpful guy as if I knew what I was talking about! Anyhow. 1 day rest then the 28 minute runs start.
SheCutsHair

Post by SheCutsHair »

Wow, you're getting so close! I'm doing wk4 r3 tomorrow morning. So far its going great. I'm in love. LOL. Wish it would cool here a bit. I'm so ready for winter here in south Florida. Hope you had an awesome birthday!