Help! Distances on a Treadmill

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
PMJW

Help! Distances on a Treadmill

Post by PMJW »

I am considered in the obese category (36 years Old, 18st 8lbs), I started the programme a couple of weeks ago and am now on week 4 run 2 coming up.

I previously have been fit, but never a runner. Really enjoying the programme.

I do it on a treadmill in the gym and would like to know what speeds and sitances I should be aiming for?

Currently, my stats are:

Wk 1, run 1 - 2.4km, run 2 - 2.43km, run 3 - 2.4km
Wk 2. run1 - 3.61km, run 2 - 3.35km, run 3 - 3.4km
Wk3, run 1 - 3.22km, run 2 - 3.0km, run 3 - 3.17km

Wk 4, run 1 - 4.3km

I just am unsure if this is any good and I am on track.

I know the ideal is to get to running for 30 mins without stopping but on a treadmill what distances should I be aiming for.
Lillian2611

Re: Help! Distances on a Treadmill

Post by Lillian2611 »

Wow, I can relate to this one. I struggled with it quite a lot myself.

First, some context. I'm 45 years old, I've had one period in my life (about 10-12 years ago) when I could consider myself fit. I've never been the athletic type.
I weighed 155 pounds (70.3kg) when I started the program.

From what I can see, many fitness sites consider 8km/hr a standard running pace for a fit person. I am not quite there.
I have just begun Week 7 and that means I'm running for 25 minutes non-stop. I can do that between 6.4-6.7km/h. Earlier weeks I ran at 7.2km/h, so I've had to decrease my speeds a little to endure to the end.

Here's my advice: forget about what I'm doing, forget about what anybody else is doing. You have to run at your pace and build your strength without causing too much strain on your joints and your heart. The speeds you're running at now are right if you feel seriously challenged without putting your body in jeopardy.

If you're not sure you're going as fast as you're able, increase the pace a tiny bit. You should be able to talk while running and I think most of us would agree that if you're having to push yourself to complete the last 20-30% of the run, you're working hard enough.

I hope that's helpful. As I said, it's something I struggled with, too.

Good luck!
PMJW

Re: Help! Distances on a Treadmill

Post by PMJW »

Many Thanks for the support.