A New Me

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Catherine_M

Re: A New Me

Post by Catherine_M »

Ha Ha Yes I think I'm hooked, for every week I complete I'm gonna treat myself to something running related, next week will be some new jogging bottoms :P

Had to get up at 0430 today as started work at 7 this morning and will finish at 7pm so am planning to go for my next run tonight (if I can keep my eyes open)

Catherine x
Born to Plod

Post by Born to Plod »

Sounds like you're off to a great start! You've got the right mindset AND you've joined a forum, so there'll be plenty of support to put things in perspective if you have a bad run.

Keep it up :)

J
Been running for nearly a year but still feel like a complete beginner. Which is good, because I run like one too. Anyway, I like to blog about my escapades. Feel free to point your interweb at www.borntoplod.wordpress.com
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Just done Week 2 Run 2 and loving the new trainers, felt so much better and after sitting at a desk for 12 hours today felt fantastic to stretch my legs :D

Catherine x
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Week 3 run 1 today. Hard to get out there in the pouring rain and the wind. But I did it!! I ran in local park which has some ups And downs and hit the up fir the last minute of each three minute run. But I didn't give up. I kept going and I felt so so good afterwards. Loving the fact that I'm getting a little better each day and I wasn't bothered by the local marathon runners in the park this evening. They were friendly and said hi, commented on the weather. I felt included!!
Hoping I'll get another two runs in this week. Away for work/social until Sunday. Will check out running tracks along the way.
Hope alls good for you too Catherine - how're the new shoes!?
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Dunna wrote:Week 3 run 1 today.........I wasn't bothered by the local marathon runners in the park this evening....I felt included!
Hi Ailbhe. Well done on getting out there in the rain and the wind (...I thought it never rains in Ireland? ;) ). Since I started the programme last July, I have surprised myself twice now by buying and reading a Runners World magazine. One thing I read in it once struck a chord with me. Although some think that running can be a solitary pursuit (..indeed the 'me time' is a great attraction!) - the article pointed out that - even when running alone - we are all part of a community of runners around the world. You're part of it - included - even if a marathon is not in your (currnet!) sights.
Cheers, Mike
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Mike! Thanks for posting. Loving the support. However. I just finished week 3 run 2. Nearly killed me. Found it such a struggle. Even my ears are sore. Huffed and puffed the whole way!! This is where I could just give up. Was so close to turning back out there today!!
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Hi Dunna,

I finished my Week 2 a few days ago and did Week 3 Run 1 today ..... I had to stop half way through the first 3 min run, not sure if I was just having a bad day as couldn't finish either of them and struggled to run for 1.5mins each time which I was able to do the week before!! Was rather windy and (sorry for grossness) kept getting phlegmy making it hard to breath.

You sound like your doing great so don't get disappointed, I felt a bit down after my run today but I'm doing this for me and if I have to redo this week who cares? If I'm still repeating week 3 at the end of the 9 weeks then I may have to admit defeat :(

Catherine x
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Dunna wrote:Mike! Thanks for posting. Loving the support. However. I just finished week 3 run 2. Nearly killed me. Found it such a struggle. Even my ears are sore. Huffed and puffed the whole way!! This is where I could just give up. Was so close to turning back out there today!!
Well done for NOT turning back! :) Remember - keep your pace as slow as you like. It ain't a race. I think the biggest mistake I used to make is to try too fast too soon. My half-man-half-couch body was not used to being asked to do this running thingy and - not surprisingly - lungs, legs, heart and brain - at times all revolted (yep - revolting legs...). But be kind to them. Slow right down. Find a pae that suits you then make it a bit slower. You'll get there. And it's a great feeling afterwards, yes? :P
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Catherine_M wrote:I finished my Week 2 a few days ago and did Week 3 Run 1 today ..... I had to stop half way through the first 3 min run, not sure if I was just having a bad day as couldn't finish either of them and struggled to run for 1.5mins each time which I was able to do the week before!! Was rather windy and (sorry for grossness) kept getting phlegmy making it hard to breathe.
Hi Catherine. Well done - a new week - a new stage! I found the early weeks tough. I think you also have it harder now doing these early stages as the air temperature is low so your lungs, trachea and throat all will complain more that in the warmer months. Don't worry about having to stop in the 3m run. Try slowing down a bit for the 3min run in w3r2 in a couple of days. You'll get there! You are doing great - just look how far you have come already! Keep us posted.... Mike
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Hello my running buddies!!
This really is such great motivation for me and I really appreciate your support. I got on the treadmill today as I am in a hotel for work and I don't think I felt as bad as yesterday. I am really tired at the moment and just don't feel brilliant health wise but I don't want to use that as an excuse. As long as I keep going I know I'll manage. I am a bit of a quitter!! I tend to give up when he going gets tough. That's why inlike the forum - if I keep posting I think I'll keep trying. Last week I thought I'd never manage three mins and now I'm thinking the same about next weeks five. Catherine I try and remind myself when I'm struggling that half of the difficulty is in my head. Self belief is everything and if you tell yourself you can't do something then you are right - but only because you don't believe it yourself. Another thing I learned years ago and I usually relate this to fear but it's relevant here too is that you only have to take one more step to keep going. As long as you keep taking one more step you'll be doing it. As Mike says - speed really doesn't matter. I'm not thinking too far ahead. I just want to do this one run At a time. So when you're out there - keep the faith!!
Keep posting - you two are keeping me motivated!! Catherine - It's like we have a personal trainer in Mike!!
Thanks guys!
Ailbhe