Not quick enough?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
april

Not quick enough?!

Post by april »

Hi

I have been using this app and have loved every minute of it and have improved so much.
I am now on week seven so running for 25 minutes without stopping. I am able to do this and I do go quite slow but I do not walk.

However I have just looked on the internet at my route and it is telling me that the distance I have run in this time is only about 2.5k.

Obviously I am gutted that I am meant to be coveriing twice this distance!! Can I really be going THAT slow?!

This has totally knocked my confidence, maybe I can get another app that will tell me how much distance I am covering? Could this run the same time as 'get running'?
KeepTrying

Re: Not quick enough?!

Post by KeepTrying »

Hi April. Perhaps you are - perhapsy you aren't runnign for more km than you thought. But the point is you are running for 25 mins without stopping!!. Imagine even contemplating that a couple of months ago. What counts is the duration and your endurance. And clearly you have done superbly with that. Even if you distance is not what you are hoping - just stick with it. I don't know what the originators of the C25K programme would say - but I bet your bottom dollar that they would say theta the 5k thing is just a guide. It is the 30mins which really matters. Once you are comfortable with your 30 mins- you could - if you wish - start working on increasing your pace. But at the moment just listen to your body, and your natural pace and cadence. This journey isn't about winning races - it is about achieving something for yourself. Sounds as if you have already managed that! :D

RunKeeper is a GPS tracking app which you can have open along-side GetRunning. It will plat your route if you use a GPS device such as iPhone. Endomondo is another example (and Endomondo is free! :) )
Cheers
Mike
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

April - I'm running at about the same pace that you are. Also like you, I am running, not just walking fast. I have a few friends who have done the program, and they gave me the same advice that Mike posted - keep working on endurance, and worry about pace later. Seriously, did you think 6 weeks ago that you'd ever be able to run for thirty minutes? It's quite an accomplishment. Good luck.
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Btw-I use RunKeeper along with GetRunning. I appear to be at 11.1-11.4 minutes per kilometer. Do you know what you pace you're at Alice?
april

Post by april »

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I tried to use run-keeper today but where I live and run is quite rural and I could not get a GPS signal and it would not work!

I have taken your advise and tried to concentrate on my stamina rather than the distance I am covering. I started running to improve my fitness and to see if I would enjoy it, I don't think I will enter into any races, It is more of a hobby for me and so I am not going to let the distance get me down.

After ten years of smoking I gave up when I started this programme and so I expect my lung capacity has suffered because of this too. I have gone more than 7 weeks now without a cigarette and have noticed an improvement so it can only get better!!
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

april wrote:...I started running to improve my fitness and to see if I would enjoy it, I don't think I will enter into any races, It is more of a hobby for me and so I am not going to let the distance get me down.
Absolutely! I can't imagine doing a race in order to win. For me the joy has been in finding some fitness that I thought had long-since vanished down the back of the sofa! Maybe I'll do a 'race' one day - but just for the fun of it ('cos everyone who I know who has done one says they loved it) - but not to compete.
april wrote:...After ten years of smoking I gave up when I started this programme and so I expect my lung capacity has suffered because of this too. I have gone more than 7 weeks now without a cigarette and have noticed an improvement so it can only get better!!
Fantastic - well done you! What an achievement. Bes tthing you could have done for yourself. Now - not only will you get so much more heallthy - but you will have money to spend on some nice running goodies to spoil yourself! ;)

Mike