A New Me

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
KeepTrying

Re: A New Me

Post by KeepTrying »

Dunna wrote:Hello my running buddies!!
LOL awww shucks! The thanks should go to Benjohn - who created this app based on the C25K programme. And to everyone who is getting off their butts and off the couch and going for it!

Hope you are feeling OK Ailbhe. I'm impressed that you got on a treadmill and ran even though you are feeling yuck and in a hotel! Only tried a treadmill once or twice. Felt far too intimidated by all the flashing lights, buttons and lycra-clad gods and goddesses around to stick with it. I might have to reconsider though when the ice is on the ground and the air is sub zero! Mike
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Ailbhe - I believe that week 3 was harder for me than week 6. It can be a little up and down.

Hurrah to everyone for keeping it up!
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Feeling a tad down today, was planning on doing my Week 3 Run 2 today but woke up with the most awful Migrane, hoping it goes soon so I can catch up with my Runs :(
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Thanks Mike and Ailbhe for your kind words of support

Did Week 3 Run 2 Today and slowed my pace right down and was well chuffed when I finished it. My problem is I always speed up when I pass people without realizing i'm doing it until it's too late and I'm too knackerd to carry on but i kept a steady slow pace today and it really helped.

Had a nightmare of a week, started off me having an awful migrane for 2 days which stopped me running, also had to cancel my driving lesson as it was so bad but still have to pay for my 2hr lesson. I then went into town and manage to lose my mobile phone so lost the app to do my runs and then to top my week off a wood pidgeon flew into my bedroom window and smashed I huge hole in the outside payne.... I was in the bedroom and my god I have never jumped so high in my life!!! Spent 20 mins chasing this bird around the garden so I could take it to the vets then had to find someone to fix the window (glass on order so having to live with a big hole for a few weeks)

you couldn't make this stuff up .... So I'm so glad my run went well otherwise I think I would have just givn up!

Hope everyone is well

Happy Running

Catherine x
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Catherine_M wrote:...Had a nightmare of a week... Spent 20 mins chasing this bird around the garden so I could take it to the vets...Catherine x
Wow! Quite a week. Well done for getting through it in one piece.

But imagine. You caught the bird. When you started the programme you probably wouldn't have been able to do so? ;)

Hope this week goes better. Happy running...
Mike
Dunna

Post by Dunna »

Mike that made me laugh out loud. But he's right Catherine!! You poor thing. That was a bloody awful week so well done for getting out there again. I did week four run 1 this evening in the pouring rain and ......... I loved every step of it. I felt amazing and wanted to punch the air when I finished my last run. I passed the same man three times - obviously he was walking and we were on a loop in the park and it didn't even cross my mind what he might think. Catherine honey - you are passing them not the other way round. That's moving in the right direction. As far as pace goes I have changed my soundtrack fir running. Thought I needed loud pumping beats but turns out that slow chill out stuff suits me so much better. Try slowing doun the soundtrack next time out. I never thought this morning I'd feel so so good tonight.
Yours in positivity
Ailbhe ( drenched rat/slow runner)
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

I haven't been listening to music because I'm afraid the beat will cause me to outpace myself. Although I must admit that sometimes I have my own mini-soundtrack that goes along with my breathing and steps. I breath in to " I can finish", and out to "this run". I have noticed lately that I have to do that less and less often lately.

How's the weather holding up across the UK for my running friends?
Ian

Post by Ian »

It's been tipping down in Dublin and Wicklow. Ran through flooded roads, and passed out stuck cars. Enjoyed my run hugely. After all, you can only get wet to a certain extent and then you just can't get any wetter. Isn't it weird that you would not let anything get in the way of your run, when before starting (if you were like me) you couldn't imagine how anybody would really enjoy running.
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Ian - You're so right. I don't let anything get in the way of my run day. I could not have imagined that being the case 7 weeks ago. Of course, the snow hasn't started here yet. My mate keeps reminding me that our city plows the path around the lake near my house. But we get several feet of snow here-and the temp. gets well below freezing. On the other hand, I can't imagine not running around our lake every few days. It's bound to be an interesting transition.

I made a commitment to myself to be a cheerful runner, as opposed to those runners who look as though they are being chased by zombies. As I run, I keep track of the number of people passing who wave or actually say hello. I think it's working - or I just live in a terribly friendly neighborhood. Either way, it adds even more pleasure to my runs.
- Shari
Catherine_M

Post by Catherine_M »

Hi

It was my Birthday today and despite the rain did my final run on week 3. Still found it really tough and couldn't finish the first 3min run but managed the last one! Decided I'm going to repeat the week as I'm definitly not ready to go to week 4 which is a bit dissapointing.

I also managed to get lost aswell, had to ring the hubby for directions to get home so got an extra 20mins of exercise walking back home!

Catherine x