Advice on increasing the run time?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Wannabe runner!

Advice on increasing the run time?

Post by Wannabe runner! »

Hi I've tonight finished week 3 & really enjoying it however acouple of times I've done the run twice as feel like I want to increase the time I'm training, I felt good after doing this so don't think it's to much for me personally as have fairly fit life style. Just wondered if anyone else does this & had any tips for the following weeks to make training last a bit longer?
Thanks
benjohn

Re: Advice on increasing the run time?

Post by benjohn »

If you're already pretty fit, then it could be that you're going to be okay to jump a week or more of the program. Do be careful though: even if your heart and lungs are happy with longer runs, your bones and joints might not be ready yet. :-) It's great that you are impatient to move on, but I would recommend taking it slowly as this is a good way to avoid injury, and you'll be running for half an hour pretty soon!

You could also link your running with another exercise, such as swimming or a gym session. Running's a good warm up, and it works very well accompanied with swimming.

All the best,
Benjohn