Knee pains

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Penny

Knee pains

Post by Penny »

I have just finished week 5 of the programme and so far am loving it. I was so happy that I managed to do the 20minute run,however in the last 5mins of the run my right knee began to hurt,I did complete the 20mins and had knee pain for about 3hrs after. I have made sure I have the correct trainers and have had no blisters or problems apart from this pain. I started week 6 this morning and had the pain back half way through the run. Please help, I don't wanna give up now,am really enjoying it. Can I just add I was totally unfit prior to starting this !!
benjohn

Re: Knee pains

Post by benjohn »

Hi Penny,

When you bought your shoes, did you have your running "gait" analysed in the shop? It could be that you under / over pronate (run with your feet turned in or out a little).

There are other threads here on knee pain. Take a look at those for advice!

Thanks,
Benjohn
Penny

Post by Penny »

Thanks Benjohn,

Yes I did have my gait analysed in the shop before I bought them.

I have had a read through the other queries too, think I will head to my GP
and take an extra day off. I just feel like I am starting to make good progress
so I am gutted that this has happened !
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

That's probably a good plan – I'd be interested to hear what your GP says, and how helpful they are with something fairly specific like this too.

I meant to say a big well done, by the way! Superb stuff with your 20 minutes!

Keep your chin up too :-) I'm pretty sure you'll find out what's up and find a way to fix it up.

Best regards!
Penny

Re: Knee pains-- update

Post by Penny »

I couldn't get a doctors appointment until next week, so I have bought a knee support that fits just underneath my kneecap. I completed the week 6 day 2 today as the pain had completely gone, and I have no knee pain !! Hopefully it won't come back with the help of the support !