I'm new and sooo unfit!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
gem313

I'm new and sooo unfit!

Post by gem313 »

Hello all, well i've had the app on my phone for a few weeks and I have just done the 1st run and oh my god! I am sooo unfit, I even struggled through it and now looking at the other weeks wondering if i'm going to make it. I will do my best but how has everyone else coped? Did you find it hard or is it just that im to unhealthy? :(
KeepTrying

Re: I'm new and sooo unfit!

Post by KeepTrying »

Hiya. Welcome! You've done the hardest bit! Getting out there and starting. Sure- you may feel unfit now - but if you stick with this app and follow Coach Claire's advice then you'll hopefully be on track to find a new you by late 2011 or early 2012. Imagine it. You will be able to run for 30 mins (around 5km) without stopping in the new year! Keep posting here - read the experience of others. Join in. Enjoy - and keep trying! :)
gem313

Post by gem313 »

Thanks, I have just been reading other posts and wow.... how inspirational! I really hope to make it in the next few weeks and I am going to give it my best shot. Really need to stop smoking too, really not helping. lol. x
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

gem313 wrote:...Really need to stop smoking too, really not helping. lol. x
Yup - you are right on that one! Good luck. Others here have been runnnig while still smoking, and while quitting. So it's do-able. But hard work. Mind you - when you have packed in you can then spoil yourself with some jazzy hivizibility running gear or new runnign shoes as a reward! ;) Mike
starknut

Post by starknut »

The hardest part is getting out there and getting started, so congrats to you! :) Just keep at it, and try your best. If at the end of week one you feel like you need to repeat it, DO IT. Pushing yourself too hard is never a good idea. But you would be surprised to see how fast your body adapts and how quickly you make progress!

Good luck to you!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hey gem,
To answer your question I felt like I might die in the first week ( but strangely that didn't put me off!). My other half was worried that I would have a heart attack because of the state of me when I got back. Now I can run for 5k non stop and love it. My other half is about to start week 5 now too after seeing that I could do it. Well done for getting started and stick with it. It feels great!
June194

Post by June194 »

Hi gem, I started week 1 day 1 yesterday & I'm paying for it today!! I've been doing loads of walking (completed a marathon in sept) but got to say I also felt very unfit on this run. Got to say that it was a pretty good app to keep me going - I found the woman very encouraging! Like u, I'm not looking forward to the rest but I'm inspired by everyone's success, so I'm going to try stick to it. Ouch...my legs hurt :)
KeepTrying

Post by KeepTrying »

Welcome June! The early weeks are the hardest. But stick with it - you'll be amazed - and delighted!
Emmaa05

Post by Emmaa05 »

I felt the same as you, could hardly get through the first run. But have just completed wk6 run 2 tonight. I can't believe how this programme has got me this far!! I still don't consider myself as 'fit', but am certainly getting there. Keep going & believing, & you'll get there - honest! Good luck!