So how flexible on days can I be?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Ringo

So how flexible on days can I be?

Post by Ringo »

Hello everyone, I went for my first run two days ago and have to say I was very impressed with how the app motivated me to run.

As this is my first exercise in 5 odd years or so, getting off the couch was a huge achievement for me (as I'm sure it is for others) and I feel very happy about it.

Now me being me, I'm worried that if I don't stick to the schedule then I will just give up after a 4 day break for example as it will be too painful to start again.

What are people's experiences of not sticking to the schedule? I would much appreciate any advice on this.

My calendar shows I will have to delay (or bring forward) my last run on week 2. I'm guessing that all depends on how much pain I'm in?

I ache all over from the first run but am determined to go for run 2 tonight.

Anyway - I feel very proud to be on board and would like to say hello to everyone. I just hope I don't let myself down an stick with it!

Ringo
starknut

Re: So how flexible on days can I be?

Post by starknut »

I completed w2r2 and then took a full week off before I went back and did w2r3. It wasn't as hard as I expected, and I went on to do week 3 as normal. Got w3r3 tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it!

edited to add: There's nothing wrong with missing a day of the schedule, especially if you're in pain and need an extra few days to heal up. But it helps to get into a routine, and make running a part of your ordinary day three days a week. When you're really in the habit of going out running, t makes it so much easier to get out there on the days when you're really dragging.
Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Thank for the advice. Good luck with your next run!

What do people do with their smartphone while running? I held mine in my hand but am thinking I need to get an armband for it.

Cheers. Ringo
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

Welcome!
There have be a couple of times when I had to take 3 days off between runs. It didn't have much effect on my ability to run, but once I was really into the program it made me less pleasant to be around. It appears that I really enjoy running - who'd have thought?
If you have pain, particularly muscle strain, you should take an extra bit off to repair. That said, if you continue to have problems, you may be pushing yourself too hard. Perhaps a slower pace for a while would be helpful. Also, good trainers are well worth the investment. I only wear mine to run so that the soles don't become worn in odd places.
There are cases for smart phones that wrap around your arm. It brings the phone close enough to your ear that you don't have to use ear buds (if you don't listen to music).
Best of luck!
Shari
Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Thanks Shari - I think im going to give it a miss and go tomorrow. It's that typical pain i get two days after pushing myself too hard.

Ringo
starknut

Post by starknut »

An armband case might be a smart investment, Ringo! That way you won't accidentally drop your phone while you're running. I used to put my phone on top of my son's canopy on his jogging stroller, until one day after a rain, I tripped and fell and took the stroller down with me. My iPhone landed facedown in a puddle! Never again!
June194

Post by June194 »

Hi Ringo - well done firstly. I am due to do w2r2 tomorrow, so still early days for me but thought I'd share my week one experience with you. After my first run, I genuinely was in super pain. I found it difficult to walk and stand up after being seated as I was seizing up, so I put off my second run for 4 days. I found the second one slightly easier than the first and there was definitely not as much pain. Due to work and weather, I didn't do my third run until 3 days after my second and noticed a big difference - almost enjoyed it and there was no pain. I did my third run on the treadmill and then did w2r1 also on the treadmill. I have found that easier and think it's easier on the joints?? Also, you know you are running the times at the same pace and no hills. Would def recommend it. In relation to the armband thing - I carried my ipod the first time and it was a pain the butt - got an armband now and its much easier.
Good luck and hope this helps
June
Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Thanks June!

Just completed W1R3 20 minutes ago!

I found after run 2 that cooling down with stretches for a good 10 mins made a huge difference to me the next day - so apart from the initial 3 days of pain its not been too bad.

I've ordered a arm band from amazon - so lets see if its any good.

Im soooooo unfit and am so happy to be finally getting off my bum and doing something!

Good luck with your run!!

Ringo
MoggyNinja

Post by MoggyNinja »

Firstly well done for getting out there :D

I havent run on alot of the days the calender has told me too due to life and work commitments, but i do ensure the runs are completed as close to the recomended days, just keep in mind that the caender is a guide, complete 3 runs a week and get plenty of rest in between and you wont go wrong.

Make sure you do your warm ups and cool downs there so so important, to many people choose not to do them cause they think "oh I'll be ok", then get an injury and cant run for a few weeks if mot more.

Just remember, you've started now, so you'd just as well finish :D