Slow Start

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Vinsampow

Slow Start

Post by Vinsampow »

Hi I am on Week 3 of this program at the moment. I wondered if anyone can tell me why am I slow at the start of a run but seem to speed up towards the end? Are there any warm-ups I could do to get a faster start. I entered a one mile race last year and it was exactly the same everyone overtook me within yards however I came back strongly towards the end - I had more energy to run. Is that my way my body runs? Curious to find out. Weldone everyone still on the program it is brilliant thanks. Vinnette
Queeny

Re: Slow Start

Post by Queeny »

I dont know why this happens (sorry) but I experience the same thing.

Strangely when I first begin my run, my body really complains and I wonder if I can make the first 5 mins let alone the next 20, but by the end, im feeling like I still have lots to give and that the workout wasnt hard at all.

go figure LOL

Just a side thought, I wonder if endorphins maybe playing a part in this.

Queeny (starting week 7 tomorrow)
Maddy

Post by Maddy »

Same here, first 10 minutes are the worst then my body settles down into the run and I'm off, some days I have more energy than others
Vinsampow

Post by Vinsampow »

Dear Queeny and Maddy I tweaked my diet today before a run tonight . I had water throughout the day but had more protein and carbs plus an hour before workout I had nuts, dried fruit and pumpkin seeds. I found I had a better start. I wondered if you ever change your diets if you feel more energised or sluggish and which foods tend to give you that extra vavavoom! All the best Vinnette.
YikesMn

Post by YikesMn »

I thought that it was just me, but my pace is faster on the tail end of my run as well. The first time that I noticed it was after the 15 minute mark. I thought that there was something wrong with my pace tracker.

I'm still finding the first 10-15 minutes to be harder than the last 15-30. Could this be an inkling of the runner's high that people talk about?