Jan 1 / Week 1 / Run 1

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
rob_5

Jan 1 / Week 1 / Run 1

Post by rob_5 »

Hi

Like many others i put of my 1st run until today. Just completed Week 1, Run 1.
Found the first couple of runs ok, tough for the middle runs and adrenalin got me through the last 2 runs. :)

Did find my walk in between the runs got slower and slower, just a stroll really for the last few walks. Is this ok?

Actualy looking forward to run 2. :)

Anybody else start today?

Its great reading about all the successful runners on here.

Rob
starknut

Re: Jan 1 / Week 1 / Run 1

Post by starknut »

Welcome, Rob_5! And great job on that first run, it is always the hardest!
rob_5

Post by rob_5 »

starknut wrote:Welcome, Rob_5! And great job on that first run, it is always the hardest!

Hope so. Aching now. :(
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Rob!

Good stuff starting :-) If you're aching, do some more stretches now. In fact, stretch a bit any time you've got a moment – it all helps. If you can, get someone to give your legs a bit of a massage, this will help even more. And if no one is about, then you can actually massage your legs yourself. It'll really do good things for your muscle recovery.

If you still find week one really tough after the third run, you can repeat it for as long as you like, and you'll be in good company, don't worry! Just take it at the pace that's right for you, and you'll get there!

Have a great '12!
Reynonat

Post by Reynonat »

Hi , I am doing my 1st run tomorrow having just downloaded the app . Plan on booking a 5k race tonight for about march time so there is no backing out ! Good luck!!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Hi
Yes I too did week 1 run 1 today (jan 1). Downloaded the app a few days ago. It's been in my head since reading it in Charlie brooker's column a few weeks ago. And was excited to start it today!
I was too embarrassed to go out into the real world so did lots of laps round my garden. It was pelting with heavy rain but it felt ok. Not done any running for about 15 years and recently have become v unfit.
My family are all laughing at me and saying I just went for a walk round the garden and keep saying it's all a big joke. I am determined to prove them wrong.
I think it may hurt tomorrow and fear I may not be able to get out of bed but am looking forward to running again on Tuesday!
Good to see others on here who have started today too and also those who have already made lots of progress.
And thanks Benjohn for a great app! Really brilliant!
rob_5

Post by rob_5 »

Joanna wrote:Hi
Yes I too did week 1 run 1 today (jan 1). Downloaded the app a few days ago. It's been in my head since reading it in Charlie brooker's column a few weeks ago. And was excited to start it today!
I was too embarrassed to go out into the real world so did lots of laps round my garden. It was pelting with heavy rain but it felt ok. Not done any running for about 15 years and recently have become v unfit.
My family are all laughing at me and saying I just went for a walk round the garden and keep saying it's all a big joke. I am determined to prove them wrong.
I think it may hurt tomorrow and fear I may not be able to get out of bed but am looking forward to running again on Tuesday!
Good to see others on here who have started today too and also those who have already made lots of progress.
And thanks Benjohn for a great app! Really brilliant!

Well done !! Let them laugh, it must be a good incentive to carry on.

Bit of a struggle getting down the stairs this morning. Legs really hurting above my knees at the front round to the inside. Any particular stretches i could do to help this muscle?

Rob
AmyStellaB

Post by AmyStellaB »

Did week 1 run 1 today- the programme is perfect for doing a lap around the forest behind my house! I used to run as a child to the point I ran for Surrey but 10 years on and a lot of enjoying myself in-between I thought it was time to lose some weight, tone up and get fit!! What a great app! Really keeps you going when you are close to going up! Was a struggle but am looking forward to pushing on!! Good luk all and keep in touch:-)
Minirunner

Post by Minirunner »

Good on you for starting. I found in week one my legs really ached especially going down stairs but it faded into week two. Now on week 6 and running 25mins none stop. Can't believe I'm doing it seeing as week one run one I could only do 30secs at a time!
EmmaLClayton

Post by EmmaLClayton »

I started today, have completed week 1 day 1. I was surprised to get through it and put a bit more into the final run knowing it was over. Am looking forward to Wednesday now.