Started Get Running today!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
David

Started Get Running today!

Post by David »

Hi Everyone.
This is my first post and today was my first ever run using Get Running. :D
I'm really glad it starts you off slow as any faster I think I'd collapse!
I had a question though...in one of my legs I had quite a lot of discomfort which I think used to be known as 'Shin Splints"??? It's right at the front of my lower leg. Should I be concerned and will it just go away after a few more runs?
I'm slightly worried about the longer runs as it's just about bearable at present.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks, David
starknut

Re: Started Get Running today!

Post by starknut »

I had a lot of trouble with shin splints at first. It hurt almost too much to use the stairs at its worst. What worked for me was stretches and rest. And lots of Motrin! Make sure you have a good pair of shoes for your gait, too: if you must, go to a running shop and have your gait analyzed. Run on a treadmill if you can, or on grass, rather than on cement.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged! It will get better eventually!

edited to add: Here is the link to the stretches I found particularly helpful. I hope you find them beneficial as well.
http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercise ... tExerc.htm
David

Post by David »

Thanks Starknut...I will try your recommendations and see how i get on.
David
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Also, you should really be trying to jog on grass. Grass does not have the same impact on the body as road does. This will help the problem.

Watch your aches, as you may exasperate the problem and shin splints can be damaging. Invest in some good running shoes too, ones that will support your foot movements. Orthotics from a podiatrist will also alleviate the pain of shin splints.

Combat this problem asap!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

ausgirlscouchto5ks wrote:Also, you should really be trying to jog on grass. Grass does not have the same impact on the body as road does. This will help the problem.

Watch your aches, as you may exasperate the problem and shin splints can be damaging. Invest in some good running shoes too, ones that will support your foot movements. Orthotics from a podiatrist will also alleviate the pain of shin splints.

Combat this problem asap!
Just realised I repeated everything starky said! Good advisers we are!
David

Post by David »

Thanks guys. second run today so I'll see how i get on...