Running after midfoot fusion surgery

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Drlnyork

Running after midfoot fusion surgery

Post by Drlnyork »

Hi everyone, I used to be a runner. 11 months ago I had midfoot fusion surgery. I'm pretty nervous about running again. I am about 40 pounds over weight. I really want to start running again. Has anyone had this surgery and are you running. Thank you
benjohn

Re: Running after midfoot fusion surgery

Post by benjohn »

Hi Drlnyork,

Did you start up? Sounds like it would be great to talk to your doctor about this. They can probably give you good advice on whether it's a good plan, or if you should wait. They can probably also advise you on precautions you can take, and warning signs of a problem that you can look out for!

All the best,
Benjohn
Melindahigg

Re: Running after midfoot fusion surgery

Post by Melindahigg »

Hi!

I had a cyst in the bone right in front of my big toe. It was close enough to that joint that they had to fuse it. This was a year and a half ago. I used to run too but hadn't for about 10 years because of the pain. I tried to run last summer but started right in at 3 miles and ended up with plantar fasciitis in BOTH feet. This program has been wonderful so far keeping me going slow and so far it is going great!! I am on the last day of week four. Good luck and keep me posted!!

Melinda