Runner's etiquette?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
bex_001

Runner's etiquette?

Post by bex_001 »

Hi all,

So I'm pretty new to all of this (just finished week 3, run 2) woo! I ran a new route tonight and came across quite a few other runners and it got me wondering whether there was a particular 'runner's greeting'

So what do you all do if you cross paths with a fellow runner? Is it a smile, polite nod or a blank stare as you're super focused?!
Jysmystry

Re: Runner's etiquette?

Post by Jysmystry »

Try to Hi-five them, preferably a jumping mid air hi-five.
You can run but you'll just die tired
bex_001

Post by bex_001 »

Ha! That would be amazing, i'm thinking a cheeky wink next time! :D
Petra

Post by Petra »

The park where I do my runs is full of other runners, especially on a Sunday morning. So I had plenty of opportunity to investigate if and how runners are supposed to greet. Most runners do greet, however runners who run in groups, don't greet. Runnmers say 'Hello', or smile, or raise a hand briefly. So there is no strict rule how you should greet.
Most of the times, I say 'hello' (and try to hide the fact that I'm a little out of breath...)

Disclaimer: This applies for the Netherlands, don't know how it works in other countries :-).
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Everyone I have ever passed in my exercise greets the passer by with a chirpy "Good morning!" or evening, or afternoon accompanied by a smile. I live in Australia and usually the people exercising are happy people. I think it is actually considered rude here if you don't and I always feel a little rejected if someone puts their head down and ignores me. Hehe.
bex_001

Post by bex_001 »

Thanks for the tips guys! I've just signed up for my first ever 5k race in 6 weeks time (eek!!) so I'm sure there will be lots of other runners there to try hi-fiving, waving at and greeting!

Writing the words 5k race all makes it feel very real and scary now...! :?