Week 1 Run 1 terror

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Yvonne00

Week 1 Run 1 terror

Post by Yvonne00 »

I'm restarting the program (last attempted it in September 2010) and this time I'm really scared. I am heavier now and doing it in the gym where I always feel like I'm the fat one pounding the treadmill. I'm over 12stone and 5'7 and feeling pretty rubbish about myself so really hope I can do this and stick to it.
Yvonne00

Re: Week 1 Run 1 terror

Post by Yvonne00 »

First run done and it wasn't bad at all - kept the treadmill at a 2.5 incline, walked at a speed of 5.3 and "ran" at 6.5. Red faced but feeling really pleased. Woo! :P
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Yvonne00 wrote:First run done and it wasn't bad at all - kept the treadmill at a 2.5 incline, walked at a speed of 5.3 and "ran" at 6.5. Red faced but feeling really pleased. Woo! :P

Well done! I am not doing it on a treadmill, so I have no idea what those speeds mean, but it sounds way harder than what I started on
Yvonne00

Post by Yvonne00 »

It was just under 3k I did - I don't know if that's good or bad!!
ausgirlscouchto5ks

Post by ausgirlscouchto5ks »

Yvonne00 wrote:It was just under 3k I did - I don't know if that's good or bad!!
Wow! I have started the 30 minute jogs of the last week and I have only just managed to get in just over 4km!

You are way ahead!! :D
starknut

Post by starknut »

Yvonne, believe me, you're doing great! I'm also 5'7' and weigh about 12.5 stone, so don't worry about being the fat one on the treadmill. I'm the fat one out running on the street for everyone to see, after all! :lol: I have finished the program, and my final run did not get me anywhere near the 5k mark: I managed 4.3 after 30 minutes of nonstop plodding.

So I will say it again, because it bears repeating: You are doing great!
Yvonne00

Post by Yvonne00 »

Thanks so much folks!!

I had my second run today and it was absolutely fine - I upped the speed a bit as I was worried I was going too slow. So it was a 2.5 incline, 5.7 walking and 6.7 jogging. During the 5 minute cool down I got bored so jogged for another minute. Managed 2.98km.

Muscles are seizing up a bit but keep stretching them. Hope everyone is doing ok!!
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Congratulations! I too felt like I couldn't do it and I am 240 pounds. I finished week one and am Week 2 Day 2. I handled the extra 30 seconds no problem! Keep up the great work!
Yvonne00

Post by Yvonne00 »

I well and truly fell off the wagon after going to Tenerife for a week at the beginning of February - have barely been to the gym and really feeling and noticing the weight gain. Have entered a 10k (end of Sept) and starting Lighter Life Lite soon so can't wait to feel like my old self again.

Wish me luck - tomorrow I start the app again!
Doodle

Post by Doodle »

You're doing really well. I'm on 25 min runs now and managing about 3k. Don't worry about dropping the pace a bit as the runs get longer and who cares what other people think in the gym!!!