Do runs get easier??

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Paul75

Do runs get easier??

Post by Paul75 »

Hi
I am currently up to w4r2. I am running in the mornings in
Perth Australia some times still in 36 degree c temps. Progressively I am finding the runs getting more difficult and I was wondering if the difficulty level eventually plateu's or does it continually get more difficult??
I am really enjoying the app. I have read a lot of the other forums and would love to hear of any development of a 5 to 10k run??
expat68

Re: Do runs get easier??

Post by expat68 »

People told me that when I started out and I didn't believe them, but it does get easier. :D Of course there are good days and bad days and I hit two plateaus - one of them was in Week 4. I did a thread about it here. When I struggled, I just kept repeating the run I was stuck on until I got through it and the plateau broke. Of course I haven't been dealing with temperatures like yours in a wintery England!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Running in the heat always makes it feel more difficult. Eventually, you will adjust, but as someone who ran in those kinds of temperatures all summer, I will say that honestly it is just terrible all round. Hang in there! Once the cooler season hits, your runs will feel SO much better.
Soris23

Post by Soris23 »

YES. Yes they do get easier. Today I did W5R3. It was hard but only really the middle part and the end. But it's a different kind of hard. On early runs, I thought my chest would explode and really struggled with just breathing. Then my shins hurt but I forgot about not being able to breath because I just could by then. Today the difficulty was more about how much longer could I continue to be uncomfortable as in tired. But that's it, I was just tired, my legs didn't ache, my chest didn't hurt, my breathing was fine and with the thought that being tired isn't half as bad as being in pain, I just got thru it.
Every next bigger run is different. Like the 2x 8mins I felt were a breeze, but the day before killed me.
Plus, the less I eat the easier it is for me. I have half a banana and some water before my jog then fill up with food within an hour after my jog. But I run at a different time of day to you.
Bottom line, they are all telling the truth, it DOES get easier. Good luck and remember don't stop, just slow down (no matter how fast the others are going).
Paul75

Post by Paul75 »

Thanks so much for the replies. I completed w4r2 today and it was my hardest run yet!! I had to stop in the last 5 mins but only for 30 secs and then I ran the 30 extra at the end. Today was the first time I failed to complete the run exactly as the promps but I didn't feel so great at the start of the run. I'm so looking forward now to the runs getting a little easier. 8-)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Paul,

If you need to, you can always repeat a run a few more times until you're really happy and comfortable with it. I encourage you to personalise the program like this. I certainly had to repeat a couple of weeks when I did it!

If you want to run week 4 when Get Running has moved you on to week 5:
• If needed, scroll the running "journey" at the bottom so that week 4 is shown.
• Tap on week 4 and it will become selected in blue.
– the background text will change to tell you about week 4,
– the button at the bottom will change to read "Run Week 4".
• Tap on the run button. Get Running will ask if you really want to jump to week 4. Confirm that you do and then the run will start.

Happy running,
Benjohn
GettingUpOfftheCouch

Post by GettingUpOfftheCouch »

Yes!!! I'm on week 9. Took me 12 weeks to get here, but hey doing better than I was 12 weeks ago, by far. I can't believe it gets easier And I actually look forward to it. I'm running on the treadmill so I don't have to worry about the temp anyway. Hopefully I'll be aBle to get a jog stroller soon. Keep up the good Work, you'll be glad you did!
Paul75

Post by Paul75 »

Hello again,
I ran week 4 run 3 today and although I slowed up a bit I finished and it was ok!! I will move to week 5 on sat and probably repeat that. Thanks heaps for the help.
Cathy72

Post by Cathy72 »

Hi Paul - I am running in Perth too and the weather has been awful. I am up to W5, run1. I had to do this for the second time today as when I ran a couple of days ago, the humidity nearly killed me. I actually had to stop and walk, so I felt like I had cheated myself!
Anyway - for the first time ever I ran on a treadmill at the gym, instead of pounding the pavement and it was SO much easier!
I a tually want to go and tackle the next run to
tomorrow without a rest!
Good luck with it all
expat68

Post by expat68 »

I'm impressed with the Aussies running in those temperatures! It's bitterly cold here in England and as much as I complain about it, I'd prefer it to running in 36C any day! I'd definitely fork out for a gym just to enjoy the aircon. Well done. And yes, the runs do get easier. :D