Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jysmystry

Re: Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by Jysmystry »

Hoo hoo getting close now alec. Some runs are harder work like that arn't they!

Today I went back to running and re-did week 9 run 1. My back was really really painful all weekend so i waited until it didnt hurt any more then gave it another 2 days. The run went amazingly well and i felt the break in running of 6 days has really helped me.

I ran the full 30 minutes without any difficulty whatsoeve. I ran it on the treadmill as always at a slow run of 8 then at 27 mins in i cranked it up to 8.5 then 9 for the 28th minute then 9 and the last minute on 10. I was flying along hehe. IntotLly couldnhave kept going too :)

Looking forward to next run on friday now. Also i realised today that my shin pain has totally gone, i cant remember the last time they did hurt now i think of it. Super stuff :)
You can run but you'll just die tired
badabing

Post by badabing »

Did it this morning as well.
Went way better than I expected ! :D
Elizabeth2012

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

Hi everyone! This is my first post I've loved reading about all your experiences with the get running app.

Anyway, today I finished w5d2 and was horrified when I looked to the next run to see I am expected to run a whole 20 minutes! Without a break :shock:

I found 2x8 ok, not amazing but i got through it. I'm feeling a little more confident after reading all the posts about it. Will update on Sunday when I've completed it :?
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

You will be absolutly fine elizabeth, just take it nice and slow and its a distance you have already completed :)

For me today it was W9R2 so my penultimate run and it went perfectly fine. Inbroke my own rules and ran it a bit faster this time, still could have kept going to be honest so i can easily run the 5k in the 30 minutes now.

Last run on Monday, it will be a sad occassion but also very exciting. I shall post a piccy of my happy but sweaty face at the end haha
You can run but you'll just die tired
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Yay! I"m finally able to partake in this conversation. Sunday is my 20 minute run! I'm so ready for it. Today's 2x 8 minute were fantastic! My legs felt incredible. I could've gone longer on each run. I'm so excited about getting into these final weeks. I didn't believe I could do it in the beginning, but I'm so looking forward to each run now!
Quoi

Post by Quoi »

Hi there! I am as thrilled as you are Stephany and others! Being inpatient, I am really looking forward to the 20 mins run! But it really is a large step! Today I already feared the 8 mins runs, but they went more than OK. Amazing how you keep on surprising yourself... I can't wait to run my first 5k-run and subscribe for an official race...

Monday or tuesday will be the '20 mins-day'. Please keep me informed on your progress, as I will do with mine!

Cheerios
Lilla Anna

Post by Lilla Anna »

Did the 20 min run today. I thougt that it would be to hard for me. So my plan was to run 10 min, then walk for 5 and then run the last 5 min.
But I did the entire 20 min. So proud of myself! :D
nipponnay

Post by nipponnay »

I was the same when I did my 20 minute run yesterday. The 5x3 run was fine, but the 8x2 run was harder, so I decided to try to run for 10 minutes, then if I needed to I would walk for a minute or two and then finish the run. But after 10 minutes I felt like I could still go on, so I reduced the pace from 5.3 to 5.2 on the treadmill (not much but it's all in the mind for me, so it helped), and carried on till the end. After that first 10 mins it was just counting down, and when I had 5 minutes left I had such a grin on my purple face because I knew I was going to run the full 20 minutes.

My advice is focus on a point in front of you, put some up-tempo songs on to run to, turn up the volume, and don't clockwatch! The last 5 mins turned out to be harder than I thought because I started to watch the timer.
Carole and Nia

Post by Carole and Nia »

Tonight we ran for 20 mins non stop. At week 1 this day seemed so far away. It's amazing how quick it has come round! It was easier than we expected although nia did have a lot more energy than me at the end, but that's what a 25 year age gap will do lol! Towards the end we had to really concentrate on keeping our breathing under control. Our pace was 12.30 min per mile , so we are going to have to pick it up a bit if we want to complete the race for life in 30 mins!
Elizabeth2012

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

I did it! Thanks for the words of encouragement :D

The first ten minutes was hard work but I reminded myself I had already done 8 mins on the previous run and I could do it. Turned round for the last ten and it was relatively easy! It went by so quickly and the sun came out just as I did the last minute...it was like I was in the spotlight lol :lol:

Anyone worried about it...don't be. You can do it and the buzz you'll get is worth running for :D