Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
FBrun

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by FBrun »

Hi, I just did my first run with Get Running yesterday and really liked the app. The encouragements are really good.

Have never really run before (at least since school when cross-country running was mandatory and I hated it), and I'm now in late 40s, and very unfit.

I'm in a small village in Somerset, UK, and my main routes involve muddy fields, so finding good running shoes (waterproof) is a must, and running partners are not so common. The plus side is that traffic is minimal and I can see the odd hawk gliding above.

Thanks for a great app, it's really got me into this Couch to 5K thing and I am determined to run a 5K within 3 months or so!
Ucallmelurch

Post by Ucallmelurch »

Hi everyone! Names kyle and i am 26. I've always been out of shape and never athletic a day in my life. I decided to purchase this app for my new iPhone and finally went out on Tuesday and did run 1. Unfortunately I only made it halfway - an old lady saw me hunched over panting my lungs out and struck up conversation. I didn't wanna be rude but over an hour passed!!! So I didn't get to finish my run or properly stretch. As a result my achilles tendons have hurt ever since - only today can I walk with tolerable discomfort levels.

Should I restart the program as soon as my legs feel up to it or will I just re-injure them?
Carole and Nia

Post by Carole and Nia »

Hi all :)

We are Carole and Nia who are mum and step daughter. I started the couch to 5k after finding it on the internet, but found having to check the intervals on my stopwatch a nightmare! After 2 weeks I found this app and haven't looked back. Nia wanted to run too, so she started running with me from week 3. I'm glad I had a couple of weeks completed before or she would have put me to shame lol!

We have just finished W5 R2 and it was easier than we expected. We are looking forward to the magic 20 min non stop on saturday, but we are both a bit nervous about it.

We have both signed up for the Race for Life in May and our aim is to get all the way round with out stopping :)
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Hello everyone, I'm Ambrose 39 and dreading turning the big 40 next year hence my motivation to get runnin! I'm 5'7 190lbs and have lost 5lbs so far. I will be running my W3R3 tommorrow and i'm just amazed at how well this programe works. It has greatly boosted my confidence,self esteem and has shown me that we all can take some control of our health. I've been greatly inspired by reading everyones post on the forum and finally decided to register so as to belong to this great community of running enthusiasts. See Ya'll on the other side of W9R3!
Cheers.
nipponnay

Post by nipponnay »

Hello everyone!
This is my second intro post as it's the second time I've tried the Get Running app. I stopped at about week 4 last time, but today I've just completed my first 20 minute run! I've been getting motivation from the posts here the last few days, and thought I may as well come back on now I'm officially a runner ;)
Nay x
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Hello all. I decided i needed to lose some weight and go from doing no exercise to getting a bit more active. I started going for a daily brisk walk around 7 weeks ago and 4 weeks into this added a few short jogs.I started the couch to 5 k officially eight days ago and decided ( rightly or wrongly) to do it each day. After now doing week 1 runs 8 times I am thinking I will never be able to move to week 2- it is so damn hard! I am going to keep moving at my own pace though and am determined to get there eventually. I get discomfort in the shins and knees but am hopeful this will ease off with time and a better running style.

I am currently getting up at 5.30 am ( I am Australian and it is summer here now). I run before work and sometimes it is hard to get up but I am pleased I have forced myself!

Good luck everyone!
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Keep at it Linda it does get easier like everyone says. My shin pain became much less at the end of week 3.
Ambrose
Elizabeth2012

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

Hi, I'm liz and I started using the app a few weeks ago now. In fact I just finished week 5 run 3 today :D when I first started I thought there was no way I would get this far but here I am! Nice to "meet" you all x
scoggy

Post by scoggy »

Hi. Thought I'd give this a go. I'd like to get into running. I'm in my late 30s and trying to ensure I exercise regularly.

As part of a general fitness drive (I recently started recording my calories and exercise on MyFitnessPal) I'm trying to ensure I exercise regularly. I find if I miss my weekly circuits class it gets harder the following week, whereas running is something I can do when it suits me. I injured my back a few years ago, which put paid to my intermittent running back then. My back seems to be mostly better now, and I am looking to get started again.

I did W1R1 on Sunday, and will be going for my second run tonight. When I've run before I've just tried to see how far I can run (without the breaks for walking), and got demotivated when I can't run for long, so this seems like a great way to build up my time. I was pleased with how the iPhone app worked, and surprised by how much I didn't hate the woman who was encouraging me!

I initially thought the first run was a doddle, but by the sixth or seventh minute run (of eight) I was really feeling it, and my legs were aching the following evening.

Encouraging to see so many people going through the same as me.
saffygirl

Post by saffygirl »

Hi all. I'm Suzanne, 44 from Melbourne, Australia.

I lost 25 kgs last year mainly through portion control and walking. I needed a challenge for this year and even though I thought I despised running I thought that I would give this a go. Just finished Week 4 Day 1 and I'm loving it... maybe I will grow to love running! Can't say it is easy but it feels so good at the end of the run.