C25K and workouts on off days?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
icandoit!

C25K and workouts on off days?

Post by icandoit! »

hi!
i'm brand new here and brand new to running, about to start W1R1. my fitness level is generally pretty low, been mostly inactive and under a tremendous amount of stress for the past several years, causing about 40 lbs weight gain, low energy and depression. i'm ready to make major changes in order to get my body and health back in order.
i recently started at a crossfit gym, and would like to go at least twice a week. my question is this:
understanding that we need days off to recover from the running program, what about doing other workouts on those days? some of the daily crossfit workouts do include running, but they will be different every time and it's not up to me, so i can't predict.
should i run on the same days that i do crossfit? or alternate them?
i expect that i will have times when i need to skip or repeat days/weeks and the schedule will be fluid in that way, but i'm trying to decide on a beginning schedule to get myself committed.
i'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences.
thanks!
Stephlperry76

Re: C25K and workouts on off days?

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Hi there!
I'm in a similar boat as you! I'm at the end of week 5 of running and I do a boot camp, which has almost identical workouts as Cross Fit. Between this app and my boot camp, I am exercising 7 days a week. I've decided to cut back one day of boot camp because my body needs the rest. With that said, I have not felt fatigue at all. I think it's helped my running having strength training. My advice is listen to your body. If you find your body saying rest...than rest. When you do running with Cross Fit, go slow as to not over work your legs. Good luck!
Jysmystry

Re: C25K and workouts on off days?

Post by Jysmystry »

Running is high impact your improving your running depends on your body adjusting. Your aerobic fitness can improve faster that your muscles so the rest days are important to allow the improvement to occur.

Your muscles adapt quite fast when you first start, you can feel it, its usually the thigh pain that makes you look like an 80 year old going up and down stairs. But it is your bones and tendons that are slowest to improve.

I have always done cross training on non running days so you can safely exersice as well as do get running but like has been already said listen to your body. If you start to get shin, kneee or hip pain, especially pain that feels like a bad bruise or is tender to touch you need to step it back a gear. Aching muscle pain is fine though, thats good pain, learn to relish that :)
You can run but you'll just die tired