Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jysmystry

Re: Week 5 run 3 - solid 20 mins (eek!)

Post by Jysmystry »

Wow all these successes! Im so pleased for you all. It is amazing how those 20 minutes are so easy when you get there but it seems such a huge milestone when you first start.
You can run but you'll just die tired
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

I did it!!! I finished my 20 minutes straight. It went fantastic!! It wasn't until minute 15 that I felt some burn. But by the end it felt great and I did an extra 2 minutes! Yay! I can't believe I'm a runner!
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

Reading back through all your posts is so inspiring and I've got to say its really helping me, and I love that we are all helping to motivate each other. I decided to run week 4 again because I missed about 5 days in a row, so I redid wk4 r1 yesterday morning and it was ... EASY.... yes, easy! Having that rest for a few days did the world of good I think. And I really enjoyed myself, so much so, that I ran an extra 2 mins sprint at the end, because I knew there was plenty of fuel left in the tank. Something else happened too, I nearly was in tears at the end, because I've had something of a mental breakthrough, dont know how, but I just KNOW I can do it, I am a runner now! Musnt get complecent at all, I am sure there will still be hard runs ahead, but the memory of what happened yesterday will keep me strong. Thank you to everyone one here particularly Steph and Jysmystry - you've been brilliant. Onwards and upward, cant wait for the next run tomorrow! :lol:
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

CONGRATULATIONS Steph! You are inspirational x
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
Runkat

Post by Runkat »

The first 20 min run is so daunting...you think how will i ever do it??!
But the thrill of actually DOING it, is immense!!

Im up to 25 now and its TOUGH, any tips to get through the last 5mins?! haha :lol:
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Today was a terrible day!

Over the weekend I caught THE worst sore throat I have EVER had. It was so painful that every time I swallowed (which it turns out is rather a lot!) I was wincing in pain. I couldn't really sleep last night because every time I was about to drop off I needed to swallow and the pain woke me back up. It was like a hideous fire in my throat, awful! On top of that my wife was coughing all night and my 10 month old baby kept waking up so all in all I was like a zombie this morning.

This was unfortunate because today was W9R3 - my last run of this programme and nothing, even pain, nausea, dizzyness and a general feeling of exhaustion was going to stop me doing that last ever run.

It was bloody hard work. I also got the dodgy running machine and at some point in the run I must have lost an eye-lash which landed on the stupidly over-sensitive button that puts the treadmill into "cooldown" mode so I had to stop it and restart it half way thorugh.

Finally some plank broke the unspoken gym rule that you never go on the machine directly next to someone unless you can help it and proceeded to run at 300 MPH and kept looking over at my stats where I was going 8mph.

None the less, despite all those bad events and my finding this run very tough I completed it and I am now officially a very proud and much healthier graduate of the get running programme. And as promised here is a very sweaty but very pleased me directly afterwards :)

Get Running Graduate Photo
You can run but you'll just die tired
Runkat

Post by Runkat »

Well done! that's brill!!!
I had that sore throat too, it's tough.

Men carrying logs ran past me on my w7r2 tonight and
stopped every so often to do press ups!!!
Show offs lol :)
starknut

Post by starknut »

Wow, I can't believe you ran despite all that! I am in awe! Congratulations!

I also posted a flushed, sweaty and triumphant photo after my final run. Even though you're sick, you look way better than I did! My hair was sticking up everywhere: I was so excited, I forgot to brush it before I went out.
Quoi

Post by Quoi »

20 mins run is in the pocket. I did it!! Really amazing...
Stephlperry76

Post by Stephlperry76 »

Bravo Jysmystry!! That is dedication and commitment right there! I can't wait until I reach the end too!