Help/Advice please!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
twofeetofftheground

Help/Advice please!

Post by twofeetofftheground »

Hiya - I've been lurking on the forum for months and have to say it's been a great inspiration!

I completed the "course" about 3 weeks ago and was absolutely buzzing. Desperate to get out there and first knock some time off my 5k and then build it up to 10k. I was even planning on entering the Great North Run in September... And then I hit a wall...

A small amount of background info - I am 28, fairly okish weight, asthmatic and I have fairly mild ME - in that I get flare ups occasionally but can generally live a fairly normal life. I was thrilled that the ME didn't kick off when I started running as it has done in the past (one memorable run put me in bed for a week...) and as I said, I was buzzing about running. Then it snowed, so I only got 2 runs in that first week post-app. Then I had to work late on one of my running nights so I only got 2 in that week too. This week is half term and I was determined to crack it. I started well with a 6.7k run on Monday. By Wednesday I was broken. I tried to go for a run on Thursday and it was HORRIBLE. Worse than W1D1, worse that it had ever been in 9 weeks. I took myself off to bed on Friday and took it easy yesterday too. Decided to go for a run this morning, no pressure, just get out there (the weather is gorgeous here). I managed 2k before I had to stop; altogether I managed 2.53k in 20 minutes - averaging 8minutes per k!! This is slower than I have ever been.

So, my question is... Do I start the app again from the beginnning? Or should I give myself a complete break (am slightly concerned I'll never get started again)? Or should I take it gently just doing "free runs" for a while and then start Bridge to 10k?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really demoralised that I can't even run 2k without stopping when earlier this week I ran over 6k...(that is perhaps the issue - too much too soon...hmm)
Jysmystry

Re: Help/Advice please!

Post by Jysmystry »

I wouldnt start again because you know what both your body and mind can deal with it.

There is something holding you back and everyone gets this (i had it today) and it really could br anything like mood or energy levels or music or just run down. My advise is just to keep going. Aim for the best you know you can do (so 30 solid mins) and aim to complete. If you run 2 minutes and have to walk the rest so be it but keep going and dont let failiure hold you back. Just always remeber you know, for an absolute fact, that you can run 30 solid minutes and so keep at it 3 times a week and see how you get on.
You can run but you'll just die tired
starknut

Post by starknut »

6.7 km up from 4 or 5 doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. ESPECIALLY if you have other health issues, it really isn't a good idea to push yourself so hard. Be easy on yourself, get out there and do some free runs, but don't push it. When your body says stop, then stop!
twofeetofftheground

Post by twofeetofftheground »

Thank you so much for replying. I think the jump was too much and I've shocked my body into hibernation mode! Decided to give myself this week off. I might try a gentle run on the weekend and build up my distance again... I was sooo happy I could run 5k, I thought I'd try 6...oh and then 7...with only a few days between them! The runners high is ace whilst it lasts!

I'll let you know how I get on :)
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Have you looked into HIIT (high impact interval training) instead? I have yet to find a reliable source that says bad things about this. It basically run fast for 1 min jog for 2 and repeat 5-8 times. The idea is 15-20ish mins of running but traing smarter rather than longer. Its well praised for increasing fitness levels, stamina and endurance faster than just plain running and its less time exersing with more res. Could be worth a read :)
You can run but you'll just die tired