Treadmill Fraudster?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
SkiPixie

Treadmill Fraudster?!

Post by SkiPixie »

I've just finished Week 5 Run 3 - the 20 minute run and I am so so pleased.

But I do feel like I might be a bit of a fraud because I have done all my runs so far on the treadmill in the gym. I am a super slow runner (1k takes about 9 and a half minutes, I am quite short and I think my stride is really small - so I will be way off the 5k at 30 minutes), but I am not overly concerned about this because I know that with dedication and practice I will speed up over time.

I might have a bit of a mental block about running outside though. I've just ordered a garmin as a reward for the 20 mins and to spur me on to getting out there and finding some great routes to run.

Has anyone else made this transistion and if so, how did it go and what are the lessons to learn?
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
SSMRuns

Re: Treadmill Fraudster?!

Post by SSMRuns »

I hear you SkiPixie - today was W5R1 and I have only done my runs on my treadmill.

However, this weekend I was speaking with my SIL who is a great runner, has done a marathon etc. and she let me know she started running the same was we are - on a graduated program - and she did all her runs on a treadmill and had not even run outside before her first 5k. I was shocked, I guess in my mind she was a 'real' runner and I was a 'cheater' runner...but to know that she started out the exact same way was awesome. She also told me that the big difference was at the 5k there were people and energy to help her along.

Also, someone told me that an incline of 3% simulates outdoors - not hills- so I have been trying to get the incline up on my runs.

You have accomplished A LOT...there is nothing FRAUD about you! The frauds are all still sitting on the couch! :roll:
starknut

Post by starknut »

Running on a treadmill is still running! Nothing fraudulent about that!

I normally do my runs outdoors, but on rainy or very cold days I stay indoors on my treadmill. I like both, for different reasons. On a treadmill, you get so bored unless you have something to watch, or music to listen to, but you keep a consistent pace all the way through and don't tire as quickly. Outdoors, you tend to speed up a bit once that runner's high hits and then it's easy to wear yourself out too fast, but the fresh air and seeing the sights is a wonderful distraction. They're both challenging! No question of that!

To simulate an outdoor run, set the incline on your treadmill to 2 or 3%. Once you have an idea what that's like, head out and see how you like running in the great outdoors. There is just nothing else like it, I bet you'll love it.
Jysmystry

Post by Jysmystry »

Im 100% treadmill too and i don't consider myself a fraud at all, i sweat like a horse haha so im more than happy with it but i am also a bit worried about running outside.
You can run but you'll just die tired
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

Thanks Guys, your comments have all made me feel much better. Starting Week 6 this morning and still on the treadmill, but yesterday I did a 5k power walk outside and found a really nice 2 mile route I have measured which I think will be a really good place to start running outside (once the garmin arrives and at the end of week 6 when I am doing 25 min runs).

Also, I have decided that when I get to the end of Week 9, I am going to start the programme again, but work on increasing speed, so that Week 1 will be a 30 minute run with 8 mins of interval at a faster speed. Then I will work though the whole thing again, and mix outside (as the weather gets warmer) with treadmill stuff.

It all takes time but I am growing in confidence with my running and I know its a marathon not a sprint (ha ha).
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
Elizabeth2012

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

I did my first ever treadmill run the other day for w6r3 as the weather was appalling. I found it incredibly hard and totally failed the run! In fact I started week 6 ahain because of that run and have gone back to strictly road running as I found that much easier! So don't feel like you're cheating at all!
meggie t

Post by meggie t »

Well, I don't think you're a fraud, as I am doing all my runs in the treadmill too! I go to the YMCA, as I need the daycare for my son while I run. I am going to do the entire program on the treadmill and then once finished and somewhat confident, I will tackle outside running. I do put the treadmill on a 1% incline but might up that in a week or two. I also plan in upping my MPH each week, so it is a more gradual process. I did that when I started using the elliptical and it worked really well.

Good luck!
AngusOnTheRun

Post by AngusOnTheRun »

I was considering joining the gym to use their treadmills but I might just pay a one-off session in case I have the same experience as Elizabeth.
Elizabeth2012

Post by Elizabeth2012 »

Yeh I would see if they would let you have a trial session Angus. I did the 25 mins on the road today and did it without any problems. I don't know why I found the treadmill so hard, my H found it easier than road running.
June194

Post by June194 »

I'm like you, I did all my runs on the treadmill - just done my 20min run and could have high fived myself, I was sooo chuffed :lol:
I don't care what anyone says, I could hardly finish the 1 minute runs in week one when I started and had to take about a week off because of the pain but I've just done 20 mins non-stop! I noticed that some of the folk who have replied to your post suggest increasing the incline on the machine a bit to represent the outdoors so I might give this a go. My confidence is definitely growing and I am even considering looking for a 5k-10k app to assist me increase the distance. Anyone recommend a good one? Love this app, it's great and I've suggested it to lots of friends too :D