Please Help! Week 6 Struggles!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
SkiPixie

Please Help! Week 6 Struggles!

Post by SkiPixie »

After the Week 5 20 minute run, I was so pleased with my progress. But now it all seems to be going in the wrong direction and I could get really despondent. Please help! I've followed every week every run to the letter so far and not failed one second of running.

Wk 6 Run 1 was just about ok, but Run 2 - the 10+10 - I had to walk after the 15th minute for two minutes and then ran the last 3. So I decided to repeat the first two runs before moving on to the 25 minuter at the end of the week. I did the 5/8/5 again and today was my second attempt at the 10+10. I made sure I was well rested and well hydrated but I just lost the plot after minute 12, dont even know how or why I stopped running. :-(

I read somewhere that some people, however much they exercise, never improve their aerobic ability - am I one of those?

Please offer some suggestions where I might be going wrong. Thank you. :cry:
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run
SSMRuns

Re: Please Help! Week 6 Struggles!

Post by SSMRuns »

SkiPixie

Had the same issue, could not do the 5-8-5 on my first attempt. Had to go back two days later and try again....bad days, bad runs - I think they are just part of running. Keep at it and you shall get there, according to everyone on the forums.

I have my 10-10 tomorrow morning and am trying not to obsess about it too much - will start out with only positive thoughts, will do my best and see how it goes. Still will have done better then everyone still sitting on the Couch!

Good luck!
SSM
SSMRuns

Post by SSMRuns »

Well, tackled my 10-10 run this morning...made it through the first 10 minutes, but it was struggle. Have some pain across the centre of my back, think it might be a pulled/strained muscle which is worsened by every running step. I alternated running and fast walking the second 10 minutes.

I am going to do is again on Sunday morning....and every time until I get it done!
JoelGwood

Post by JoelGwood »

I don't know about either of you, but after the 20-minute run, I got super excited and thought I could take on the world! Although that is a wonderful mindset, I feel as if I tried to tackle too much the next week. On the first 2 runs of week 6, I completely over-paced myself and ran out of energy.

So I don't know if it will help you as much as it helped me, but just slow down a little and get into a pace you feel comfortable with! After all, right now you're working on endurance, not speed. Good luck!
SkiPixie

Post by SkiPixie »

Well just conquered my 10+10 on the 3rd attempt. It was also the first run I had done outside, not on the treadmill and without music too. Really windy - not used to that! Anyway, pleased I've done it now, onto the 25 minute day after tomorrow. I think I'm learning that the key thing here is mental strength and perseverance as much as physical!
Run Baby, Run Baby, Run Baby, Run