Upper Back Pain

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NeilHughes1

Upper Back Pain

Post by NeilHughes1 »

I am now on week 6, my legs are feeling great and pace myself so gasping for breath is not a problem. Just when I think all bases are covered and I have everything sussed, I am struck down with troublesome upper back pain just below my right shoulder blade.

My other half gave me a quick massage and told me it feels very knotty and knobbly so I was hoping somebody on here with experience of this problem could advise me.

Do I need dedicated stretches to this area?
If I continue to run, will it make it worse?
Is it just my body adjusting from being a couch potato and enjoying a sedentary lifestyle?

Just went to through this video http://youtu.be/u1OYvVIKHoU and once I hit the 2 minute marker, there is a definate stiffness and a slight clicking noise from the area, guess I'm very tense around this area.
NeilHughes1

Re: Upper Back Pain

Post by NeilHughes1 »

After learning a few proper stretching exercises for the upper back and between the shoulder blades and even a self giving back massage with a tennis ball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66JVpyga7D4 I decided to go on my run.

Whilst running, my back was fine and had no problem and didn't feel any discomfort until I was warming down, so maybe its time I admit that I am guilty of the age old crime of not warming down properly.

Lesson learned :(
starknut

Re: Upper Back Pain

Post by starknut »

I don't know what causes it, but I frequently get that exact pain. Sometimes I can power through, other times I have to stop and stretch. There is a particular yoga stretch that helps, where you sit cross legged on the floor and put one arm behind you and twist and as you twist you lean back and put your weight onto the arm. It's a wonderful way to wrench out any knots.