Started my 1st run but only completed half :(

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Bekisw

Started my 1st run but only completed half :(

Post by Bekisw »

Hi peeps,

I need to get fit and think this app is defo the way forward, I started my wk1 run 1 tonight and when the voice said go home if you like then I decided to leave reason being I had a blister as my trainers maybe too small I am very determined to complete this app even tho it seems impossible at the moment as I gave never been a runner, is it normal to feel disheartened so soo ? I will do my 2nd run on Tuesday n think it maybe best to buy some new trainers.....someone help please :)
starknut

Re: Started my 1st run but only completed half :(

Post by starknut »

It's okay to feel disheartened just starting out. You realize just how much work it's going to be, and it seems impossible. But it's not. It's really not. Maybe next time you run, aim to complete just one more run than last time. Progress won't necessarily come quickly, but it comes, so take heart in that. When I was just starting out, without Get Running, I measured my progress by how far down the line of apartment buildings I could get before I had to stop. When I made it past all four without pause, that was a great day. It wasn't even far at all, possibly a quarter mile if I stretched it a bit, but it was a start! So I had a better beginning than most when I began the Couch to 5k program, and even I struggled and wondered if it was too hard.

If it was easy, everyone would do it!
Bekisw

Post by Bekisw »

Thankyou for getting back to me feel much better already I like that it's every other day that you have to run so I can reflect on my last run for the next time, off out to buy some better trainers that won't give me a blister nx time as this was the main reason I stopped, I am sure almost everyone who started this app was in the same position as me at 1 point, even after week 1 is finished and with comfier trainers purchased I will feel tonnes better.....thanks again :) and congratulations on your achievement :)
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

I know how you must be feeling, because i could only run the the first or second (one min run) all the others i would run for like 20 sec, thought i would expire. :) it helped not to get out of breath on the walk after the run by going a little slower so i could catch my breath and to take a few of the walking seconds to stretch and take a sip of water cause my throat got so dry it hurt, and my legs and calf's hurt, so the stretching helped alot. I just kept doing the day over till i could completely do the whole thing, so it took me 2 weeks to get through week 1. I liked the day off to rest, it helped. Today i start week 2 and im scared a bit cause i have to run 1 and a half min. I got new shoes over the weekend and running socks. The socks i am very excited about because at the sport store I tried them on and it made your feet feel so cushioned, l felt like i was walking on a cloud. keep it up! We can do it !
Linda
Jealoussiren

Post by Jealoussiren »

:D you completed HALF! That is waaaay more than you did the day before. It took me a long while to get through week 1. I am now at week 4, which I have had to repeat, twice! The only race you are running is against yourself. You might try BodyGlide, a product designed for runners that keeps down blisters and chafing. You can get it online or at any running store. Works on anything, bra straps to strappy shoes. Speaking of shoes, YES, go get your gait assessed and get the right shoes for the job! It can be a little pricey but so is missing work from torn ligaments. I had terrible knee pain when I started, and assumed it was because I am neither fit nor thin, but it turns out it was my shoes. They felt great to my feet, but I didn't need control for overpronation, something a lot of running shoes have, so it was pulling me out of good biomechanical alignment. Take heart! You will progress, at your own pace, and you are doing great! Also, I highly recomend books, any of them, by John Bingham. The Courage To Start is a good one, as is No Need for Speed. He's a marathoner that started late in life and 80lbs overweight.

"The miracle isn't that I finished; the miracle is that I had the courage to start" ~John Bingham
Bekisw

Post by Bekisw »

How nice to have such lovely replies they are soooo inspirational, so after my 1st run going home half way today was my next run, so i am on a budget at the moment but decided i needed some trainers and not pumps so i went n bought some, nothing special at all but feel soooooo much more comfier, and no more blisters yaaaaay...so off i went, i struggled a bit at 1st but I FINISHED MY FULL 8 RUNS :) sooo soooo happy i know maybe to some people it may not feel like a big acheivement but to me its massive and i am very proud of myself. i have one more run this week and now my attitude is bring it on!!! i am looking to diet also eventually but i dont want to at the moment ive jus decided to cut down instead as i dont want everything to be too intense at the moment...has anyone felt that they have lost weight or toned up since running on here at all? many thanks again for all your advice and encouragement :D
starknut

Post by starknut »

Well done! Completing that first full run is a MASSIVE achievement, the first of many. Congrats to you!

To answer your question, I've definitely toned up. Everyone kept remarking on how I'd lost weight, and I'd give them the side-eye because I HADN'T lost weight, not at all, I'd actually gained a few pounds. Turns out I'd lost a fair bit of fat and gained more in muscle. I'm back in my old jeans, the ones I'd given up for a lost cause after my son was born. So don't expect to lose WEIGHT, because you probably won't. But you will definitely tone up a bit!
Corsagirl

Post by Corsagirl »

:D you are doing brilliantly and well done for doing all 8 runs. I know how hard it is! But I got thru that mental barrier when I managed to do 1 and half minutes in week 2. Never thought I would be able to do 3 minutes without stopping but here I am on wk3 run3 :D I am dreading w4 but am telling myself I never thought I could do 3 minutes so will give it a go. If its too hard I will just repeat week3 again
Bekisw

Post by Bekisw »

sorry late reply peeps, so i have now complete my week 1 of runs i cannot believe it i am amazed lol, i go on to week 2 next week and i am thinking bring it on!! i did yesterday on a treadmill as the weather was bad but that wasnt going to stop me from running at all, going to be a bit more of a challenge next week but im ready for it, ive started to realise it really does get easier to, I am so hoping i tone up from this running what u think peeps did you see any part of yourself toning up and how long did it take to see it? this is te best thing ive eva done if im honest and think that your all an inspiration :)