Complete beginner!! Needing some reassurance!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Hostiemostie

Complete beginner!! Needing some reassurance!!

Post by Hostiemostie »

I've just completed week 1 (again) and am looking forward to week 2, however is it really possible to run for 15, 20 and 30 minutes using this programme?!?! I have never run before and the thought of some of the longer runs worry me!! I get the burning calves, panting for breath and the beetroot red face, it seems like such a huge task to get past that!!
Mr Nibbler

Re: Complete beginner!! Needing some reassurance!!

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Trust the programme build you up - it really works. I doubted myself big time and am now in W6.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Nibbler is right, I've just finished wk5 r3 having not broken sweat for nearly 10 years. I won't kid you that it's easy but by following the program you will suprise yourself. I have found the moral support of this forum, and in particular, mr nibbler and the others on the same week as me invaluable. Don't look to the last few weeks and think they are impossible, I think everyone fears wk5 r3 because it is a big jump, but most of us manage it. Just concentrate on the next run. We're all behind you, you can do this!
starknut

Post by starknut »

It gets better - notice I didn't say "easier," I said "better." As you get used to running for longer, your body adapts. You get fatigued, but not as quickly. You get overheated, but you sweat instead of getting all red in the face. My whole life, before I started running, physical activity would make me flush bright red. Last week, I ran 50 minutes and was drenched in sweat, but I wasn't flushed!

Take your time, trust the program, and you will do just fine!
Becca

Post by Becca »

Hostiemostie wrote:I've just completed week 1 (again) and am looking forward to week 2, however is it really possible to run for 15, 20 and 30 minutes using this programme?!?! I have never run before and the thought of some of the longer runs worry me!! I get the burning calves, panting for breath and the beetroot red face, it seems like such a huge task to get past that!!
Iv just done w2r1 & it was hard but good, I thought that after 5 years of not running I would need an abulance after every run lol but it was not as bad as I though, no way in this world is it easy ether lol

But if we want to get fitter & live longer lives, then the 30 mins or so hard work running is so worth it in my eyes.
You can do this xx
Hugs
xx Becca xx
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I'm on week 4 run 2 today. I find that the first run of the week is the hardest, but by the end of the week I'm usually looking forward to the next week for a bit more of a challenge. This will all change next week when the whole week isn't the same workout!

Just follow the program, don't go ahead if it feels too easy. Remember that a slow jog is better than not jogging. I plan to work on my pace after I've completed the program, so right now I'm just focused on finishing the program. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you have a particularly challenging week.

One of the best things I did was tell people that I started this program. I told my husband, and he helps me stay accountable. Often he'll ask me "so how was your run today?" knowing I run on MWF. I've also told a few other people, with whom I can joke around at my lack of physical fitness (I am a physical therapist and just ten years ago I placed 8th in the female wrestling national championships so the fact that I'm struggling to do a total of 8 or 9 or even 16 minutes of slow jogging is a bit funny)

Overall, I would say stay positive, set some goals, and reward yourself (I get a mini icecream cone after each run!)

Good luck and stay positive!
andyd12003

Post by andyd12003 »

As everyone else has said, it does work!

I started on week 1, and was shattered, and thought there was no way I would be able to run 30 minutes in just 9 weeks time.

However yesterday I just completed Week 8 Run 1. I would never have thought i could have got this far, it is challenging, but not impossible.

Keep it up.
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

I hope you are still running! I am also a complete beginner and have just completed week 1 today. I don't look ahead to see what is coming up. I think that's completely overwhelming, do I just put in my headphones and do what she tells me to do. I'm excited to begin week 2 day after tomorrow!
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

Hostiemostie wrote:I've just completed week 1 (again) and am looking forward to week 2, however is it really possible to run for 15, 20 and 30 minutes using this programme?!?! I have never run before and the thought of some of the longer runs worry me!! I get the burning calves, panting for breath and the beetroot red face, it seems like such a huge task to get past that!!
Reassurance is here :lol: I repeated some weeks also, but that's what I needed to do. I just wanted to make sure I was ready. When I first started week 1, I ran the first two 1 min runs ( it was really hard for me) but the other 6 i could only run for 30 seconds. So I just continued on the schedule, and repeated it the next week. That's what I needed to do. This battle is mostly psychological, but you are working your muscles harder too. So don't get in a big hurry and don't give up. It really gets better and you need to do this for yourself. Find a group that is in the same week as you and follow their post, it really helps to read what someone else is experiencing at the same week as you. I am now able to run for 25 min, but I run at a very slow pace, that's what works for me. " I run like a snail" But I am so proud of myself and grateful for this forum and this program. If you ever need anything or want to talk about your day, I am here and so are a lot of others, they know just what you are going through, they've been there too. It is perfectly normal what you are thinking, but don't listen to yourself if you start to think negative, you know our bodies don't like discomfort, and we will feel a little discomfort because this is all new to us. If we don't push ourselves, we will never know what we are capable of doing. You can do this!!!!!!
Linda
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

What Linda said. A mutual support group works wonders and as you progress you will find yourself reaching back to others because, when all is said and done, some of us may seem miles ahead of you but in reality we cannot be more than a couple of months ahead unless we have "graduated". I missed nearly two weeks through injury and I'm now in W7. I am still 2.5 stone from where I want to be (15 Kg for Europeans or 35 Lbs for Americans) but am pleased with how it has progressed. And I suspect so will you. The programme works so trust it but do expect to be pushed.