Does anyone not manage?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Natty1976

Does anyone not manage?

Post by Natty1976 »

Hi all!

I've just started this and only completed W1R2 yesterday and am super unfit and have about a stone and a half - two stone to lose. I love reading all the positive comments and support on here, it's lovely! My question is though, does anyone not manage to do the runs? Every comment I read states how everyone has managed well and achieved the runs, and I'm panicking I'll be the only one that doesn't! What if I can't do the runs?! Will I be the only one to embarrass myself?
Lauraeliza30

Re: Does anyone not manage?

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

First, calm down and breathe! Ok, now that we have gotten that out of the way we can continue. ;) The majority of us have struggled throughout the program. Some of us, make that a lot of us, have even repeated weeks because we found them to be hard. The great thing about this program is that you can set the pace. You can move from day to day and never repeat, or you might repeat each week for a few weeks until you build up stamina. However, YOU choose to do this program is up to you. However, I think you will be surprised at how well you are able to keep up. And if you aren't able to keep up, at first, I have no doubts that if you keep with the program then YOU WILL be able to move right along eventually. Hang in there and congrats on starting the program!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

What Laura said. I had done nothing apart from hill-walking for a couple of decades and despite finding each run/week a challenge have been enthused by my improving ability to go that little bit further (figuratively speaking). I repeated five runs through taking time out for injury and hated every second of waiting to start again. I have not yet walked when I should have run, although when I say run I probably really mean an enthusiastic shamble, even when the injury manifested which I am sure was a mistake.

Anyway, don't panic. We've all felt the same way. When I started I tried to dress like someone out for a walk because I was so self conscious and scared of failing and being seen to fail: now I wear running shorts, wicking Tshirt and sometimes my iPhone on my arm. I am a short big fat lump but yet other runners wave and say hi and I do not feel in the least self conscious now. I don't worry about failing as I am so far ahead of the old me that I've already succeeded.

OK - bit of a caveat on that. I mean succeeded so far - W9R3 is my real success goal followed by a Parkrun.

So stick with it and embrace the madness.

Edit: And I meant to add - if you do walk instead of run or feel you have not somehow managed there is no shame in repeating runs or weeks. You do not HAVE to do it in nine weeks!
Last edited by Mr Nibbler on Wed May 30, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

We all struggle. I know there have been times when I really just couldn't get the motivation to do the third run of the week on my Friday schedule so I would end up doing it on a Saturday.

Take the time to do what's right for you!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I agree with these two, you will surprise yourself, just take it one step at a time, don't cheat, and relax and enjoy. Nobody is going to judge you, if you fail, so what? Nobody's going to tell you off, just repeat until your ready to move on. Nobody here is a 'gym bunny' who finds this easy. We've all struggled at times, what helps though is the mutual support of this forum, and in particular the people who are on the same week as me.
None of us is heading for the olympics this summer, but we are all fitter than we've been in years.
Don't go into this thinking you will fail, or you might, believe in yourself and you will succeed, just check out some of the entries in the graduate forum, there are some really inspiring stories of people who have completed the program.
Good luck and remember, you CAN do it.
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Some of the stories of people who have done it could it reduce you to tears, and I'm not much given to that sort of thing. Some of them make me feel very humble. Also cast your eyes over the NHS website "forums" for more inspiration.
Psalm3322

Post by Psalm3322 »

I learned today, AFTER my W1R1 session that you can pause the run and resume again when you are ready. This may help you, as I know it will help me greatly. I was able to do most of the runs, but a couple of times I needed a bit of a break. And, a couple of times my dog needed to tinkle, sniff, investigate... Oy... Good luck!!
dani

Post by dani »

Like everyone has said its you that sets the pace and as long as you don't just give up there's no failure or not managing. I'm only just starting week 4 but I find that the more you do it the more you want to continue. Good luck and remember its not a competition it's making a positive decision to improve your life
Natty1976

Post by Natty1976 »

Thank you all for your positive and support comments, they're much appreciated! I'm about to do w1r3 this evening and for some bizarre reason find myself looking forward to it ;) I'm determined to do the whole programme, was just questioning my abilities a bit when seeing all the posts of how everyone has achieved it and I didn't want to be the only one not able to! On top of being considerably unfit and needing to lose weight, I had pneumonia in April and that's left a few issues behind which will linger for some time to come.

However, I think the app is fab and I really hope I get to fully achieve it and everyone on here should be incredibly proud of themselves :-)
Bigsvig

Post by Bigsvig »

I have some real anxiety moments, too. Sometimes before a run - sometimes during. When that happens I try to remember to go over in my head encouraging posts just like all the great ones you inspired. Thanks, H (w4r2)