If I can do it ....... wk 4 and determined

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
sunshine35114

If I can do it ....... wk 4 and determined

Post by sunshine35114 »

I have spent the last 9 weeks reading lots of posts on this forum, which have been so inspiring I have decided to do one myself. I'm 42, smoked all my life (packed in 2 months ago), never done any exercise since school and about 1 stone overweight. It has taken me 9 weeks to reach week 4 (which I managed to complete on the first go, but the next 2 got progressively worse - so I'm gonna repeat the week until I feel more confident with it). I'm not rushing the program because I have found it really difficult, but the sense of achievement as I accomplish each stage is amazing. I have no doubt that eventually I will finish the program (hopefully by the beginning of sept as I have my eye on a 5k run), but I don't want to fool myself into thinking I will be finished in another 5 weeks. Approaching week 3 I felt that there would be no way in the world I could run for 3 mins, and was nearly in tears when I did it. I felt the same about week 4's 5 mins, but I have managed to complete r1 and r2. I won't lie, it hurts lol, which is why (for me) I would feel better repeating the week until I feel more confident with it.

I hope my post helps some of you to keep going. When I think back to w1r2 when I truly believed there was no way I would ever finish week 1, I smile because I'm so proud to have come this far. Keep going, you CAN do it, just as I'm determined to finish week 9. If it takes 9 months instead of 9 weeks, it doesn't matter as the end result is still the same :D :D :D
Runfatgirlrun

Re: If I can do it ....... wk 4 and determined

Post by Runfatgirlrun »

It helped me!! Struggling with week 4! I'm fine until the last long run and that's it I'm nearly in tears too!! It's good to hear re doing weeks helps you, I'm going to redo week 4 until I'm comfortable, so thanks
Linda231

Post by Linda231 »

sunshine35114 wrote:I have spent the last 9 weeks reading lots of posts on this forum, which have been so inspiring I have decided to do one myself. I'm 42, smoked all my life (packed in 2 months ago), never done any exercise since school and about 1 stone overweight. It has taken me 9 weeks to reach week 4 (which I managed to complete on the first go, but the next 2 got progressively worse - so I'm gonna repeat the week until I feel more confident with it). I'm not rushing the program because I have found it really difficult, but the sense of achievement as I accomplish each stage is amazing. I have no doubt that eventually I will finish the program (hopefully by the beginning of sept as I have my eye on a 5k run), but I don't want to fool myself into thinking I will be finished in another 5 weeks. Approaching week 3 I felt that there would be no way in the world I could run for 3 mins, and was nearly in tears when I did it. I felt the same about week 4's 5 mins, but I have managed to complete r1 and r2. I won't lie, it hurts lol, which is why (for me) I would feel better repeating the week until I feel more confident with it.

I hope my post helps some of you to keep going. When I think back to w1r2 when I truly believed there was no way I would ever finish week 1, I smile because I'm so proud to have come this far. Keep going, you CAN do it, just as I'm determined to finish week 9. If it takes 9 months instead of 9 weeks, it doesn't matter as the end result is still the same :D :D :D
Sunshine, I really can relate to this post, I quit smoking in 2001. I totally agree with not rushing the program, because if you have any doubt just repeat it, then after repeating it, it is awesome the feeling of confidence you have in your ability to do this. Like you, I thought I could never run for 3 min I even doubted the 1 and half min. But Monday starts my week 8 and I am so proud of myself. Finding my pace, even though its a slow one has made a big difference in my completing each run. If I feel out of breath or like giving up, I just slow way down. Like you said, "it doesn't matter as the end result is still the same" I'm doing way more than I was 8 wks ago, which was nothing. :lol:
Linda
sunshine35114

Post by sunshine35114 »

Hi Linda
I have been following your progress, and you have done so well. I'm just hoping I do get there (just tried w4 r1 again, and failed - again, it's close though lol)
x
sunshine35114

Post by sunshine35114 »

Runfatgirlrun wrote:It helped me!! Struggling with week 4! I'm fine until the last long run and that's it I'm nearly in tears too!! It's good to hear re doing weeks helps you, I'm going to redo week 4 until I'm comfortable, so thanks
Keep going, I'm sure we will get there (I've just come back and couldn't finish the last 5 minutes again - I was 2 short). Don't understand it when I have done it twice lol. Well I'm just gonna keep going until I can, that's all there is to it. I won't be put off. Let us know how you get on :)