Some questions (currently on week 4)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
pinkglow

Some questions (currently on week 4)

Post by pinkglow »

Hi :)

Got a few questions about the program.

- I'm aware people sometimes repeat weeks rather than go onto the next one. Is it ok to repeat just one session rather than a whole week?

- When should you try to repeat/go on? Is it best to keep going, and pushing yourself, if you can, or should you wait until you're really comfortable with a run before progressing?

- Why the sudden jump to 20 mins at the end of week 5???? I'm still struggling with the 3-5-3-5 week 4 workout!!

Thank you!!
starknut

Re: Some questions (currently on week 4)

Post by starknut »

[quote="pinkglow"- I'm aware people sometimes repeat weeks rather than go onto the next one. Is it ok to repeat just one session rather than a whole week?[/quote]

Whatever works for you! You don't have to repeat the entire week if you don't want to, though sometimes it does help.
pinkglow wrote:- When should you try to repeat/go on? Is it best to keep going, and pushing yourself, if you can, or should you wait until you're really comfortable with a run before progressing?
If you really struggled with a week, and feel you aren't ready for the next, it's best to repeat. Personally, I wouldn't wait until you feel "comfortable" with a run to keep going, because you won't make progress unless you push yourself outside your comfort zone (and I mean this figuratively, never run with an injury). Try the new week, and if you are really, really struggling, go back to the previous one.
pinkglow wrote:- Why the sudden jump to 20 mins at the end of week 5???? I'm still struggling with the 3-5-3-5 week 4 workout!!
It's not really a huge jump, it only seems like it. In week 5, the first day has you running for 15 minutes total. The second is 16. The third is 20. Four minutes more. Sure, you're not getting any walks, but a lot of people find that running is easier without those walks. Like I said, it seems like a huge leap, but in reality, it's only four minutes more than your last run. You can do it!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I think it is ok to repeat just run in a week, as I have done it in the later weeks and then moved on. The jump to 20 minutes really isn't that bad. It is more of a mental thing then a physical thing. In the earlier weeks things were tough but not impossible, so as long as I could complete a run without stopping I moved on to the next run or the next week. I hope that advice helps a little. Remember to slow down your pace if it is too hard. Our running coach does know what she is talking about in that regard!
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I repeated a week because I ran one of the runs then I wasn't feeling good of a couple says so I missed two runs. It was easier for me to just repeat that one run (even though I had successfully completed it) because it kept me on the running schedule I liked.

Id say only repeat runs if you couldn't finish the run, or if you struggled so much you're thinking that running isn't your "thing". It's goin to be uncomfortable, but you'll get through it. Don't get to worked up about the big jump in the time, you'll struggle through it and then realize how awesome you are!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

The beauty of doing this program is that no one is looking over your shoulder telling you what's right and wrong. Do what you feel is right. I took a couple of weeks off through illness at wk 6, but immediately jumped back at wk7, then because of bad weather and life in general, I only managed 2 runs in 2 weeks, but I jumped in at wk 8, my thoughts being I would try it, if it wad too difficult I would drop back a week, but it all went ok, I'm probably not as fast as if I'd re done a week or too, but I'm in this for the long run ( pun intended!) so it'll all even out over time. As for wk 5 r3, it seems like a huge jump, but when you get ther, you'll be ready.