On to week 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lauraeliza30

On to week 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I completed Week 8 Run 3 and it was my best run yet. I was able to run outside do to us finally having some cooler weather. I was excited that I ran exactly 2 miles in 28 minutes, in the drizzle and in some crazy wind with a few hills being involved. I have noticed my best runs come with cooler weather, and that heat slows me down. I have been progressing slowly just because life has gotten in the way, but I am pleased with my progress even if it took me about 3 weeks to actually do all of week 8. Even with little breaks, the running is still progressing and I am getting a little faster and more in shape each passing day. Keep up the good work everyone. If I can get to week 9 ANYONE can!
Simongeorge

Re: On to week 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Simongeorge »

Yey you runner girl! Im on wk 8 r2 tomorrow, i took 2weeks to do wk7, 1 run per week, like you said life gets in the way, but im looking forward to finishing now. Keep going, youve got this!
Mr Nibbler

Post by Mr Nibbler »

Glad to see you guys getting close to the end. I'm looking forward to sharing a virtual glass of bubbly when you get there.
bex17

Post by bex17 »

Ooooh I can't wait to get to what you've achieved. It must be an amazing feeling :D
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Thanks everyone! I did week 9 run 1 today. I did a new post for that. I'm glad to see some of my running buddies still around! :) I wonder how Linda is doing! Anyone know? Im not connected through facebook as others are.
E-Ro

Post by E-Ro »

Has anyone actually lost any weight using this app. I just started on week one run one and my legs feel like noodles ha ha if anybody has lost any weight using this app you have any tips on what would be healthy to eat
ssdguy

Post by ssdguy »

@E-Ro

Yes I lost weight, 10-12 lbs (note: I'm a guy, not that it makes a difference). Started at 223 lbs week 1, just finished week 9 and now I'm down to 211-210 ish.

In regards to eating, here are the general rules I follow. Eat well proportioned food at breakfast and lunch, these are my bigger meals. Dinner should be a light snack and you should go to bed hungry. If I eat any type of bread or something with alot of carbs, its during breakfast and lunch, not at dinner.

I focus on eating healthy 5-6 days a week. But to keep my sanity, one day on the weekend I'll get a chili dog with fries and a coke or italian beef. After a big meal like this I feel bloated because I'm used to smaller meals. I've learned, you don't have to finish every single bite! lol.

Also, when you weigh yourself, make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each day. I usually weigh myself in the morning with no food in my stomach.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Ive lost about 14 pounds since starting the program. However, you won't lose weight just doing the couch to 5k you must change your diet as well. I DO NOT agree with the post above mine. You should NEVER go to bed hungry and you shouldn't have just a snack for dinner but a well balanced dinner, perhaps a grilled chicken breast and a side of veggies. If you are hungry you should eat, but it is what you eat that counts. I recommend my fitness pal to keep track of your food and exercise intake. If you measure your food and track your calories you can eat virtually whatever you want its all about portion control. In my weight loss, I tracked my calories burned vs. my calorie intake. I tend to eat a lot more veggies and fruits because I don't feel so restricted and the more I exercise the more treats I can have. And by treats, I mean a bowl of non fat popcorn or a low cal frozen dessert. I do agree with the above post in allowing yourself a cheat once a week. I suggest one cheat meal not an entire cheat day! The program breaks down like this, for each mile you are covering be it walking or running you are burning approximately 100 calories give or take based on your weight and physical fitness etc. In the first few weeks you might be only burning 200 calories per workout and this is hardly enough to justify going out for a cheeseburger and fries after a run. You will become fitter by doing this program, but you won't necessarily lose weight just doing this without making changes in your food intake.
ssdguy

Post by ssdguy »

@Lauraeliza30

I think we are on the same page, a 4 oz chicken with some veggies is a snack to me. :) I have a big appetite, we Greeks like to eat.

I've noticed that I like to eat at night, especially because I run after dinner and frequently work into the evening. So I start to get hungry again at 10:00 pm and I force to go to bed even though I'm hungry. I've had enough food for the day and its generally not a good idea to eat after 9:00 pm. I try not to eat after 8:00 pm. This is what I meant by going to bed hungry.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

SSDGUY! That is a much better explanation! LOL. I could see how that might seem like a snack. Sometimes I feel like it is. When I eat a light dinner I always allow myself popcorn.... the 98% fat free kind. It is low in cal, slow to eat, and for me is a good way to go to bed feeling full. I don't buy into the not eating before bed thing, but that is just me. I just don't eat anything heavy. I look at it this way, a calorie is a calorie no matter how you look at it!