ok peeps, how do you manage yr runs when on holiday?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
bex17

ok peeps, how do you manage yr runs when on holiday?

Post by bex17 »

Im off to Cuba in 6 weeks for a couple of weeks and Im petrified that if I dont run when Im there Ill be starting all over again when I get home.
I know the heat out there will be a huge problem so really dont know what to do, do I pack my running stuff just in case or think nahhhhh cos Im on my holibobs??
what would you do??
starknut

Re: ok peeps, how do you manage yr runs when on holiday?

Post by starknut »

Personally, unless I knew there would be facilities available - treadmills, some kind of running track - or someone came with me to the beach while I ran along the shore, I would not go running. If you don't know the area, it seems kind of dodgy to me. Anything could happen.
Chazabelle

Post by Chazabelle »

I have totally been thinking the same thing! I'm going to Florida at the end of September and I really want to keep my running up while I'm away even though I know the heat will have a massive effect.
I am planning to get up early and run about 6am hopefully it will be cooler then.
But if anyone has any tips or advice I would really like to hear them too!
bex17

Post by bex17 »

hmmmm, I was thinking the same but its sooo frstrating. Im hoping the gym at the hotel has a treadmill but Im doubtfull . Heyho, Ill take my trainers and stuff just in case. You never know :D
Id be gutted if I got there without my kit and found a perfect gym there
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

It's always a good opportunity to vary your fitness training and use the pool a lot. As for florida I went a couple of years back and wore a pedometer around the parks and we averaged 6/7k walking per day.

Have a great hols everyone I'm off to cornwal.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I ran on holidays when I was last into running around 15 years ago and loved it, the change of scenery and seeing things I wouldn't have seen otherwise was great. However, that was Portugal and having been to cuba I would not feel safe running outside of the hotel, especially knowing how prized big brand sports gear is over there. I would stick to swimming and walking and just take a break from running, having taken a two week break due to illness mid-program, I can tell you that when you get back to it, you won't be as far behind as you may think
bex17

Post by bex17 »

true, Id rather be safe than sorry. I hadnt thought about sports brands out there.
We ll be walking all over the place the first half of the hol because were going to Havana first for all the siteseeing bits then the beachy bit for the last 10 days so swimming will do me just fine :D
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I'm SO envious! I loved Havana and I can't wait to go back some day.
bex17

Post by bex17 »

:D I'm really excited but a bit dubious too, have read so many good and bad points about Havana. We generally don't listen to bad views as we like to make up our own minds when we get there but for some daft reason I'm getting a bit nervous :)